Water Flow 1994 40 hp Evinrude -- rubber"gas-like" tube, exiting motor cover --

New to me 1994 Evinrude 40 hp --Center console steering. - Manual shows the "gas-like" water indicator hose exiting the motor below the cover -- so it's not jerry-rigged -- I did not measure the ID of the water exit hose hole, but it's big.

The water flow from the hose is like a slow faucet without an aerator, I have received no overheat alarms -- plan to run it hard 'til after the 4th of July, and then have the thermostat replaced, water pump, and lower unit seals.

Has anyone experienced this type of water flow out of the cooling system that has what appears to have a gas hose for a water exit tube 1994 Johnson /Evinrude's --- no reducer pisser --- it's always the same, no increase in pressure at wot.

It's 23yrs old, so it needs some care, but to me it may have been run on dry land with the hose not turned on, and damaged the water pump housing and impeller......

Motor runs very strong, and very smooth, I love it; I just don't want to screw it up......

Any advice, guidance or experiences to share would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,

New One
    Last edited by New One; 06-23-2017 at 05:18 PM.

2. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    I for sure would install a complete water pump kit. While the lower is down, I'd hook a hose up to the water tube and remove the thermostat cap and thermostat it self and back flush the block.

3. Member
    ChampioNman,

Good, will do......now is it safe to run this motor without the thermostat, to prevent any overheat condition, and not blow a head gasket. 'til motor maintenance can be completed.....

I really don't know, other than I might loose some performance.... ???

New One

4. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    No, this is only for flushing debris out of the block and water passages. Without the thermostat in it, running the motor in colder water, you take the chance of "cold seizing" the motor.

5. Member
    ChampioNman,

A-Ok -- will be careful then, until all the maintenance repairs are completed...... Thank You, Sir!!

Thanks to All

New One