Thread: Setting info

Setting info

This has most likely been asked a thousand time but here is a thousand and one. I have two new Helix 10 DI gen 1 units I put on my boat just last year. The units work great I really like them ....now he is the BUT....I guess I just don't have them set on the right settings. I most often fish weed areas so I don't expect to be seeing fish, my bait and things like that I see the weed beds great, I can see heavy vs scattered, weed lines all that great. Now I go out in places like Lake Erie when it large clean bottoms, I see bottom fine but very few fish ( I know the story there has to be fish to see them) even when I know they are there. I have never been able to see my bait like a jig or jigging spoon. I can be side by side with friends and they say they are graphing a lot of fish I look and see bottom. I talk with friends that say they love watching a smallie taking their bait on their graph....I can't see my bait.

What am I doing wrong, I am not a newbie I have done this for 45 years but now have some higher end units and still can't get these views...why?

If you are not using the XTM 9 WIDE DI 20 T trolling motor puck, the 2D 455 kHz spec coverage is 16 degrees and the 200 kHz spec coverage is 28 degrees.

If you are using 455 kHz, you need precise control of your boat and presentation to keep it within the coverage.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

3. Member
    After I bought my two units I spoke with Humminbird and sent one of my pucks back to get the bow mount puck from them, I have whichever puck they swapped out. do you recommend 200kHz for normal bow mount use?

Is the puck model number on it? I assume is I don't have that one I should get it for best performance? You know I watch the shows and videos on line and always hear and see the guys saying they say a fish and dropped down right on them and watched the fish take the bait......I have some nice bird's on the boat I feel I should be able to see more than I am? I just keep thinking I have to change a bunch of my settings?

The trolling motor puck that matches the transom version frequencies is the XTM 9 DI 25 T.
    Tag on the cable about 12 inches from the plug.
    If you have that one then 200 kHz will give you more coverage.

I have no problem seeing a 1/10 Oz Ned jig with a TRD at 20' using 83/200 hHz Switchfire Clear default sensitivity with the Helix 12 SI transducer.
    Have 60/20 degrees of spec coverage.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL