Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JCWbassmaster View Post
    If somebody that works for you takes a day off, is it their responsibility to get someone to cover for them while they are out?
    Hmmm....that onus is usually on the plate of the manager/owner/company.

Why are you asking us ? ask your boss ,he's got the answer.
    " Talking to you is like clapping with one hand "
    Anthrax

3. Member
    We schedule the vacation requests when put in 6 weeks early. After that it is their responsibility to find/beg a qualified replacement. Also if an individual is taking off a company holiday he has to find a replacement himself. These positions are manned 24/7.
    92 492vs. 92 Suzuki 225 EFI

When I was working as a production lead in a millwork shop, I always got stuck doing the work for the time I would be off before I left.
    Neil Eckberg- Cary, NC - 2008 Skeeter ZX250- 250 Yamaha SHO

Kerr Lake Ba$$hole

5. Banned
    I make my guys find their fill-ins. If they can't, I appoint the lucky stiff... Dan

6. Ft Gibson Lake America lakefolk's Avatar
    a good manager will have plenty of back up plans.....

"Being a winner is more than getting a first place trophy, it is acting like the effort was an honor and the trophy is just a decoration."

"A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him"

7. Member
    You guys run your staff that lean that you don't have someone that can fill in per shift? Either that, or lack of planning. I want our team to take vacation and finally got it to where we don't pay out anymore than 3 days so people actually use it. The last thing I want people doing on THEIR time off is thinking about what we are doing at work.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeeterbait View Post
    I guess I am one of the people you are calling grumpy managers. But I actually consider myself pretty benevolent. I give my number 2 his choice of days off first. I will work the day before and after holidays to make sure the office is covered so more employees can take off. I often approve employees full weeks off when I myself have not taken more than 3 consecutive days off in over 20 years. Never do I have a day off that I don't answer email and frequently receive calls. I came up thru the ranks, at one time did every duty of every employee who works in my field. My professionalism and dedication to the company and the job I performed allowed me to progress to my managerial position and the salary I receive. And yes I recognize the same traits in employees I manage and go to bat for them with HR. Unfortunately I see less people with dedication than I used to. 32 years in the IT field and probably will work 10 more.
    I will be the first to tip my hat off to you for your hard work and dedication.companies love this type of dedication but wether you realize it or not your company owns you.
    keep working,your neighbor thanks you

Depends on a variety of issues.

I would cover if there was a minimum manning retirement, if we expected a high volume of work needing more employees, weekend/Holidays I would always staff a little heavier.
    If you want a pig, flip a jig!!!

10. Member
    No, you shouldn't have to do the managers job of scheduling his staff. Your time off is earned the previous year, it's part of your pay.

11. Kentucky Bass Club/Trailers & Towing Moderator
    In the position I hold now as long as there isn't any scheduled work with other departments we can take off as we please with supervisor approval. Our supervisor knows that time off given is ours and is very supportive.

When I was still a police officer before I had to medically retire it was kind of an unwritten policy to find someone to help cover at least some of your shift. More than anything that helped your other guys and most of us would help cover.

Guess I've been lucky I've never worked where finding coverage was mandatory.

Quote Originally Posted by wishiwasfishin2 View Post
    They better have a doctors note and not be a day after a holiday or their normal day off or after pay day.
    or after a sunny day, or...

Quote Originally Posted by ethand View Post
    I will be the first to tip my hat off to you for your hard work and dedication.companies love this type of dedication but wether you realize it or not your company owns you.
    I am fine with that. The company has provided me advancement, the opportunity for a good life and good living. What is wrong with that? Too many people today expect instant advancement without having earned it. So they jump from one employer to another and never develop the tenure and importance to their employer to receive advancement. They spend their entire career doing the same level job for the same level pay because they change employers too often and display no dedication.
    Last edited by Skeeterbait; 06-24-2017 at 06:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Skeeterbait View Post
    I am fine with that. The company has provided me advancement, the opportunity for a good life and good living. What is wrong with that?
    Nothing, really. Except the emails and calls on your day off means you never really have a day off...and may indicate you need to have/develop someone who can fill in for you when you are not there so you can enjoy your days off without interruption. Personally, that would drive me nuts....

Not for nothing, but you should be staffed so you could lose 10 percent of your force and still operate. This allows for scheduled time off.
    XPRESS H 18 SS, YAMAHA 115

16. Member
    Scheduling is managements job, don't do your work and theirs too.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wishiwasfishin2 View Post
    They better have a doctors note and not be a day after a holiday or their normal day off or after pay day.
    Give me a break! The day I have to bring a doctor's note in because I took a day off is the day I tell you to stick your job in your ass

18. Member
    We are not children here we're fully grown adults with jobs don't treat me like a kid

Quote Originally Posted by lakefolk View Post
    a good manager will have plenty of back up plans.....
    Agreed! While a high performance team can job-share and fill gaps easily, it's managements job to own schedules to meet goals. They should also know employee training/competency levels to determine where backfill is needed, and who to shuffle and fill voids.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim R View Post
    Nothing, really. Except the emails and calls on your day off means you never really have a day off...and may indicate you need to have/develop someone who can fill in for you when you are not there so you can enjoy your days off without interruption. Personally, that would drive me nuts....
    That is by my choice. It is not required of me. I take a lot of mid week days off to fish. In return, I don't abandon what is my responsibility to see that things run smoothly in my absence.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast