Buying advice- 2012 z521

After many years in 19' boats I now have the garage space to warrant a big boat. My last 4 boats have all been bought new and I put on about 50 hrs a year. With that being said, buying a new 21' is just not in the cards for me right now with 3 little ones. I am looking at a 2012 z521/250 pro xs with around 400 hrs that is immaculate, not a scratch for 45k. I am having a hard time trying to decide if its worth dropping that kind of money on a boat with no warranty and 400 hours but then realized that these boats are 70k new. Any advice on this is appreciated.

2. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    That is a little high. I traded in a 2012 Z520 last year. Basically same value, and mine had quite a few extras plus 30 months remaining factory warranty and 320 engine hours. Dealer gave me what I considered top dollar on my trade-in and sold the boat this spring for a little over $40k (under $41k). With no remaining warranty, I'd expect to be around $40k on that boat, and a 2013 or 2014 with some warranty would only be a few thousand more.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

3. Member
    Im finding prices from 40-48 on this year. Boat has power poles, Helix 10's

4. Member
    My opinion: that boat is just above book retail at 45 which is what most are selling for if in good shape and have "good" electronics. have to factor in included electronics, power poles, etc to determine that "final" value. That deal might be ok if you're buying from a private party seller, saving sales tax and it has lots of goodies on it.

I have a really nice 07 Z21 listed on the boats for sale page if your interested in saving 15K + and I am less than an hour from St. Paul.

It is also my opinion that the used boats will continue to hold value as the price of new boats continues to climb.

400 hours is really not that many, anyone who says otherwise is out of touch with reality.

5. Member
    Just piggy backing what Snodogg said....you can find some very nice Rangers 2004 -2009 that are in great condition and with fewer hours on the motor and MUCH cheaper. I'm not saying 400 hours is an issue but once a motor is out of warranty, it doesn't matter much if it's a 2004 or 2012, either can blow at any given time. With your savings on the older boat, you have some extra funds should something go wrong. In any case, type of trolling motor and electronics can make a big difference in price.

6. Member
    I run a fully loaded 2011 z521/ merc with 350 hours and would not go lower than 42k for mine. So price sounds pretty close. New ones are keeping the values up for used.

7. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by snodogg View Post
    My opinion: that boat is just above book retail at 45 which is what most are selling for if in good shape and have "good" electronics. have to factor in included electronics, power poles, etc to determine that "final" value. That deal might be ok if you're buying from a private party seller, saving sales tax and it has lots of goodies on it.

I have a really nice 07 Z21 listed on the boats for sale page if your interested in saving 15K + and I am less than an hour from St. Paul.

It is also my opinion that the used boats will continue to hold value as the price of new boats continues to climb.

400 hours is really not that many, anyone who says otherwise is out of touch with reality.
    400 hours is not a lot, however, all the tournament guys up here with the higher horse power 2 strokes are blowing power heads and lower units at the 350-400 hr mark so.... I'm no outboard mechanic but a new power head and or lower unit is gotta be close to 5 grand. It be a kick in the bag if I dropped 45 k on a used rig to blow a power head a few months down the road. To each thier own but something with a warranty, even if just for a season is a sound investment.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jtracc View Post
    400 hours is not a lot, however, all the tournament guys up here with the higher horse power 2 strokes are blowing power heads and lower units at the 350-400 hr mark so.... I'm no outboard mechanic but a new power head and or lower unit is gotta be close to 5 grand. It be a kick in the bag if I dropped 45 k on a used rig to blow a power head a few months down the road. To each thier own but something with a warranty, even if just for a season is a sound investment.
    not buying that, it's all about maintenance and of course you can blow anything at low hrs. I've never had a lick of problems out of any of my opti's. Partners Opti has 1600 problem free hours.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jtracc View Post

I find it hard to believe Mercury would even be in business let alone own 80% of the freshwater market share by producing an outboard with a life expectancy equivalent to 24,000 miles on an automobile.

There are two very important things I have learned as relates to ownership of 2 stroke engines.
    1. IMPERATIVE to allow for proper warm up especially in COLD! When you launch boat in your first spring tournament, idle out 2 mins for blast off and go WFO up the lake, you will cause scuffing and/or cold seize.
    2. When you strike objects which damage your propeller, you have put a huge amount of stress on the interior workings of your gear case. Unfortunately they are not as indestructible as we'd like. Most gear case failures seen in the shops I know are result of damage from prior impact(s). The fortunate thing is in most cases insurance would cover this type of repair.

10. Member
    Pm senr

I bought my 2012 z521 in May of last year for $44,500. It had 48 hrs on it and was moderately loaded with extras. I too believe the used market value is holding pretty steady based on the list prices I see. I feel fortunate for the deal that I got. On that same note, the technology in electronics is rapidly advancing and new goodies are getting more and more expensive. So I do believe the "extras" play a much bigger factor than the normal recreational fisherman would expect.

2012 Ranger z521
    Mercury 250 Pro XS

12. mikesxpress
    Make sure you jack it up off the bunks to check for blisters no matter what you decide.