Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What Bait Casting reel do you feel cast's the furthest?

I'm thinking Abu Garcia or Concept??

Daiwa or Shimano. My OG Zillon can launch a C-rig or DT-10 crankbait so far it's kind of funny. Was fishing as a co one time with a buddy and hooked one on a C-rig so far out that he jokingly asked if he should fire up the big motor to go get it haha

The T-wing equipped reels add even more distance potential
    2021 Phoenix 920 Elite / SHO 250
    Bullet 21XD / 250 XB (Gone to a great home in LA)
    "There is no such thing as a bad day fishing!"

3. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    An out-of-the box reel? I'd be surprised to see anything out-bomb a T-Wing non-SV model Daiwa.
    2013 Ranger Z520c, 2013 Yamaha 250 SHO
    2018 Ranger RT198p, 2013 Mercury 150 Optimax

Straight out of the box to the rod, the best was the Lew's Team Lite. That reel would bomb a 3/8 oz pointer further than some of my turned reels would a 1/2 oz swim jig. After I upgraded all bearings and tuned it, it was freggin insane how far it would cast any bait of any weight. That was one of those "ID10T" moments when I sold it.

5. Member
    Metanium

Ag
    I am the real Scubby McScruberson!

6. Member
    I can only speak from experience but here is what I can tell you. I’ve owned Daiwa, Shimano, Abu, Pflueger, BPS, and Quantum. Mid-Range up to Chronarch quality. And nothing has ever even come close to casting nearly as far as my old Gold Chronarch SF, and my Curado DHSV. Those two are the only reels I’ve ever owned that I can empty a 65 yard spool of 50 LB Braid chucking a 1 oz Spinnerbait.

However for Freespooling, I use my Tatula, nothing in my arsenal even touches that reel for control / distance flipping everything from weightless senkos up to 2oz punch baits.

The ones with a light spool and centrifugal brakes.

8. Member
    Out of the box the one Concept KP that I have outcasts anything else I've owned. Albadaran MG7's, Metanium (even after going to ReelX), Zillion and even the new Tatulas. The only one that I feel is close or maybe even better was believe it or not an old 100B that I had but that one had a Chronarch wiffle spool and bearing upgrade. Never should have sold that one. I could get into the backing with ~60 yards of 50lb braid throwing a 1/4oz swim jig with a trailer.

9. Banned
    Daiwa T3 Ballistic JDM on the "LongCast" setting has been the longest so far and that is on a 7'3 Heavy Duckett

A longer rod could also provide some distance.

10. Member
    Hmmm...another can of worms on this one.

What lure, line and rod? If surf casting heavy iron with an 11' + rod, you can essentially toss all FW bass reels out the window.

11. Member
    Of the reels I have used it would be a T3 1016 with a 5/8 oz frog, or a Exscence DC with about any bait around 1/2 oz or more. I have not used one but I wouldn't be surprised if the Antares DC would top or hang with about any distance caster out there though the cost to play is quite high.

Casting a weightless Senko

13. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by opaleski View Post
    Casting a weightless Senko
    That's about 3/8 of an ounce if I remember correctly. .

14. Member
    I dont know but my abu revo premier and revo winches doesnt cast as far as any of my concept c, daiwa's, lew's or shimano's. I rather have a reel that can cast really good and consistent and that would be my shimano's and daiwa's.
    2004 Stratos 295 Pro XL
    2004 Mercury 3.0 L EFI 200 HP SN: 0T908560
    Standard/Servicemaster Lower 859399T13

15. Member
    Zillion twing sv. Its a beast of a reel
    '06 Gambler 2100
    '06 Mercury Racing 250XS

16. Member
    I suggest a smaller line capacity spool with very thin line/braid and proper rod, if you are looking for max distance with a Senko...granted it weighs ~ 3/8 oz, however it is not the most aerodynamic lure.

Finesse special BC of some sort would be my vote.

17. Member
    A senko with a hook is right around 3/8 oz. You are in that in between a "finessy" reel and something that is considered normal size like a 200 series Shimano. Of the reels I have used I would look at the Met MGL or Core/Alde/Scorp/Chonarch/Curado 50. The latter 5 retailed from $200 to nearly $400 but buying them second hand since they are discontinued you can find pretty much any of them under $275 and some as low as $150ish. The Met MGL is going to be around $300 from Japan and even used not much less than $300. There are great reels for that sort application if you are a Shimano guy. If you like Daiwa I would look at the Alphas SV 105 or the Zillion SV TW. They don't have BFS shallow spools but all of the reels I listed are all perfect for 10-15 # line and no backing.

You don't want something to big and with a heavy spool and you don't want something with an aftermarket BFS spool or a stock BFS reel especially if you want to use 10# line or above. Lots of good options from the past to present to consider plus what type of budget you have and are wanting to spend for the reel would need to be taken into account as well.

18. Member
    Excellent points kickerfish1 -

In a budget range of ~ $200, the CU70 should also be a player. In my arsenal, I would either use my SV105 or go spinning and toss it on my LIN 258HM.

19. Member
    Lews custom pro SLP or team lite.

20. JigOHaulic
    Lews Team Lites out cast any of my premiers, curados, winches that I own. Straight out of the box there pretty sweet.
    Brandon Moberly, Berea KY
    bmoberly08@hotmail.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast