Echomap Cradle Corrosion

After having problems with my chirp 94sv losing power and not powering on at all, I noticed the female pins on the quick release cradle starting to corrode. Any easy way to clean them up without ordering a new mount? Also what's the best way to keep them from corroding to begin with.

2. Member
    Can you post a pic? You could try tuner cleaner or electronic cleaner, but you may need to scrape/brush them to get it off. If its bad, you will have no choice but to replace it.

The cause is most likely galvanic corrosion. Im guessing you leave the power turned on to the mount when the unit is disconnected and water has gotten on the contacts while there was voltage there. Any time you have voltage to wet metal, it will corrode. Its far far worse in salt water but it will happen in fresh water as well. The more minerals are in the water, the worse it is.

The cure is mainly to turn OFF the voltage to the base when the mfd is not plugged in. You can also treat the pins with something like CorrosionX or dielectric grease. I boat a lot in salt water, so I have to be extra careful. I use CorrosionX on all my stuff at least two or three times a year and never leave the power turned on to any sockets/plugs etc.
    Smokercraft Phantom 202 Yamaha F115/Merc 9.9
    Garmin 7610xsv/GT51M-TM/Panoptix PS21/LiveScope
    Why am I hanging out here when I could be fishing.....

3. Member
    Great advice above from Larry.

I have to say the Garmin echomap cradle design is one of the best I've seen. I always remove my 93sv I have on the bow and place the cap over the connector to keep debris and moisture out.

Brian

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BBG Marine Electronics View Post
    Great advice above from Larry.

I have to say the Garmin echomap cradle design is one of the best I've seen. I always remove my 93sv I have on the bow and place the cap over the connector to keep debris and moisture out.

Brian
    I have it for my Echo map 73sv, and thats what i do. Remove it and place the protective caps on the plugs.
    07 STRATOS 176XT

5. Member
    Would Dielectric grease help?
    07 STRATOS 176XT

6. Member
    Yes, or something like CorrosionX. NOT DW40!

However, the best by far is to shut off the power to the plug. Even with grease and CorrosionX, if you leave power to it, and it gets wet, it will corrode over time.

7. Member
    20170627_225925.jpg
    This is what the connectors look like. I gave Garmin a call and the customer service rep that I talked to asked for my address and sent me a new one free of charge. Definitely some of the best CS in the business.

8. Member
    Cool! Add a switch before you install the new one :)