Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    ^^^^^^^ This. Shooting under stress and at a moving target is a lot different. Most PD's don't shooting at moving targets.
    And they sure as hell dont practice shooting at running and jumping dogs
    2020 Skeeter ZX150

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kry29 View Post
    So true but no one will question any of that, just that the officers shot a teen. Just more hate from the media.
    The outrage from the media would probably be worse if they had shot the dog instead of the poor kid.

My grandpa told me once that he had a problem with a pit and stuck a gun to it's head (I don't remember the caliber), pulled the trigger and the bullet just ricocheted off its forehead. My grandpa is dead now so no need to call PETA.

3. Banned
    When I wrestled w/the PitBull outside the meth. lab it took 3 shots from a .40 until the dog finally quit. First shot went off the skull, 2nd shot missed My foot and then finally the Mozambique Failure Drill

Quote Originally Posted by LgMouthGambler View Post
    I can crack your head in half with a baton. You dont think that would work on a dog? Have you ever been lightly hit with a baton? Try it sometime, they are one of the most lethal things that you can carry. And yes, COPS carry them for situations where a gun may be overkill.
    What is it was a grazing or you missed or the dog had enough energy and adrenaline to keep coming. I was not there not going to second guess the officer. I would like to get all the facts before we hang him or say what if. Not all cops carry a baton. Sometimes I do sometimes I don't.

5. Member
    And if it hadn't been euthanized, the pit would still be alive.

6. Member
    sad situation.....sometimes things just happen

7. Member
    I can crack your head in half with a baton. You dont think that would work on a dog? Have you ever been lightly hit with a baton? Try it sometime, they are one of the most lethal things that you can carry. And yes, COPS carry them for situations where a gun may be overkill.
    You work in a department that has this policy "Personnel may use firearms to employ deadly force when dealing with animals when they reasonably believe that death or serious physical injury is about to be inflicted upon themselves or others."

So out of the blue, you have an animal known to kill full grown people aggressively charging you and has already bit you or your partner (per the article) and is a known direct threat to your health and well being, and your first choice, sitting in your armchair on the other side of the country is to go with the baton? So be it. Their second choice was to attempt to put a permanent end to it after the dog came back the second time.

Sitting in an easy chair on the other side of the country, second guessing their actions is really not a help at all.

It is sad that the young man lost his life in a tragic accident.
    USMC (Ret) 1988-2008
    2014 Lowe Stinger ST175
    Mercury 75 HP four stroke

8. Banned
    Hey, you want to make an omelet, you gotta break a couple eggs, right? The right people made it home at the end of the shift, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Pantera61 View Post
    Hey, you want to make an omelet, you gotta break a couple eggs, right? The right people made it home at the end of the shift, right?
    Minus the teen they shot, of course.
    He/him
    Kayak fishing in a Native Slayer Max 12.5
    Lowrance Elite 9 ti2

10. Member
    Sad, prayers for the family and all involved.
    Praying for a Cure

11. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Pantera61 View Post
    And a child killed in his own yard! "Yep great work everyone! Pizza tonight? "
    All over a noise complaint. The kid might have been playing video games loudly. (I've done it) and then gone to investigate what had his dog making a ruckus at 3am (I've had to do that also) low and behold it's the friendly police there to kill you!

Yup you nailed it they just decided to drive up and kill someone .. ohhh wait you are being serious

Its always teens or troubled youths

xpress x19, 200ho G2, aluminum sawtooth cut prop, paper sack tackle storage, ugly stik pro team, color c-lector

14. Member
    It's hard to get a full swing with the baton when that pit bull is latched on to your neck. Better off to hit yourself in the head with it so you don' t fell the dog biting you.

I havent seen a cop with a baton since the advent of tasers. They dont even teach cadets how to use one. Theyre all in the back room of the stations in a box with all the model 10 smith and wessons

xpress x19, 200ho G2, aluminum sawtooth cut prop, paper sack tackle storage, ugly stik pro team, color c-lector

16. Member
    Prayers to the boy family. If we didn't have pit bulls the boy would be alive. Just sayin.
    Ranger 520vx Yamaha 225 ox66.

Baton? That's rich. You'll have one swing with a baton and you'd better hope you're dead on, because if you're not with how close it was when you had a swing you won't have time to re-cock your arm for a second try. I don't think I've ever heard of a training syllabus that teaches baton v dog unless you're down to last resort stuff.

Honora Primum Vel Nullum Omnin Honorem

18. Member
    [QUOTE=rds_nc;8513897]Minus the teen they shot, of course.[/QUOTE
    Well if you are ever about to be killed by a Pitt bull, don't call the police. Call PETA or Al Gore or something.

19. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by tdutton View Post
    It's hard to get a full swing with the baton when that pit bull is latched on to your neck. Better off to hit yourself in the head with it so you don' t fell the dog biting you.
    It all comes down to "if you are going to carry a weapon, you better be well trained with it". When you pull a gun, you better be very aware of whats around you. If I pull a gun with intent to kill, and I kill a bystander in the process because my "situational awareness" was sub par, guess what? That could cost me life in prison for murder. So what makes it any different for a COP? Im not trying to down their actions by any means, but the lack of training in scenarios is the problem. Trust me, Ive shot against many COPS in a combat type "run and gun" style competition. Most of them plain out suck. They couldnt hit the broad side of a barn. No your weapons, and train with them for the worst of situations, then, and only then, will you know your limits.

20. Member
    Shotgun....end of story

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast