Banned

MG FW75 FB hard to turn

Like the title say, have a MG FW75 FB that is hard to turn. Is there some maintenance, places to grease, that I should be doing? Can't find anything about it.

2. Member
    Look at the upper shaft and see if it's bent, or is the main shaft bent on a Motorguide. Either will cause it to be hard to turn.
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

3. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonestrollingmotor View Post
    Look at the upper shaft and see if it's bent, or is the main shaft bent on a Motorguide. Either will cause it to be hard to turn.
    The shafts don't look bent. I put a straight edge to both and they appear straight. What's odd is that it'll turn left a hell of a lot easier than it turns right. I pretty much have to almost break the foot pedal to get it to turn right past straight. It turns fine out of the water, which is also odd.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Riccochet View Post
    The shafts don't look bent. I put a straight edge to both and they appear straight. What's odd is that it'll turn left a hell of a lot easier than it turns right. I pretty much have to almost break the foot pedal to get it to turn right past straight. It turns fine out of the water, which is also odd.
    that sounds like a bent main shaft. the torque is what's keeping it from turning right. Probably, if you turned it on with no pressure on the footpedal, it would spin to the left.
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    [/SIGPIC]

5. Banned
    Thanks for the info! Is the shaft hard to swap? I can't see paying a few hundred to get it fixed when it's only worth a few hundred to begin with.

6. Member
    Depends on if you have stainless steel shaft, or an aluminum shaft. Obviously, the stainless is stronger, but also more expensive. The shaft will run in the $80.00 range, then you'll probably need bearings. If the upper is bent also (probably not), it runs around $30.00
    Friday 8am-12pm
    [/SIGPIC]