Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Fury vs Tempest plus

Ok so have any of you guys run the same pitch Fury vs the same pitch Tempest plus on the same outboard and boat?? If so is the Fury faster like advertised due to the X7 alloy or is the X7 a gimmick??

Also can a Fury be worked or no because of the X7 alloy??

2. Member
    Following!

3. Member
    All new Mercury stainless props have the same alloy, and they can be worked.

In my experience, the Fury needs to be 1" less pitch and ran 1/2"-3/4" deeper. Top speed virtually the same. Better holeshot with Fury. Three different motors on my boat now. Same results:
    225 opti. 26 tempest or 25 fury
    250 pro xs. 27 tempest or 26 fury
    300XS. Best prop so far 27 fury at 86.7 GPS. Didn't have a tempest at time. Have run other props though.

Joe Perez
    Boatless white trash

5. Member
    Yes 25p both, Tempest ~3mph faster.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy T View Post
    Yes 25p both, Tempest ~3mph faster.
    WOW so Tempest is faster??? Thats why I wrote this post Mercury makes it sound like Fury is always faster.....

7. Member
    I don't think you can compare the two without actually comparing them yourself. One might be better on somebody else's boat, and worse on yours. It all depends on what the boat needs.

Agree. That's why my post began with "In my experience..."

Quote Originally Posted by mrdeath View Post
    I don't think you can compare the two without actually comparing them yourself. One might be better on somebody else's boat, and worse on yours. It all depends on what the boat needs.

Joe Perez
    Boatless white trash

9. Member
    Fury is generally faster unless you run heavy or need alot of lift. If you do then the tempest will be faster.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GEEBASS2000 View Post
    WOW so Tempest is faster??? Thats why I wrote this post Mercury makes it sound like Fury is always faster.....
    Yes on my setup. Of course Merc made the Fury to "be faster" that how they advertised it.
    IMO the Fury is better out of the box than the Tempest. Especially when people run a 25 Fury which turn same RPMs as a 26 Tempest. 26 pitch Tempest prop are notorious for being way off out of the box.

Because of they way they run compared to each other, I also ran a 24 Fury, and that was only 1mph slower than the 25 tempest.

11. Member
    08 Triton 20HP: Tempest 26 and Fury 25. Fury slightly (0.5mph) faster but less stable (more chine). Better hole shot with the tempest.
    16 Triton 21TRX: Same results.

All depends on the boat....Some boats that need lift, the tempest will out perform the fury. Others like basscat, stratos, sterling the fury is quite a bit faster.

13. Member
    You can't just say a 25p tempest is faster. Not an accurate statement. If you compare a 25p tempest to a 25p fury and the tempest is faster, it is most likely either (a) incorrect motor height for the fury or (b) the fury is too stiff and you need to drop to a 24p fury for a good comparison. Just comparing them cold is not a very accurate way of testing. I have a bass cat pantera classic with a 200 pro xs. I have tried multiple props including a 26p tempest now, along with my current choice, the 26p fury. I can spin the fury at almost 5900 RPM when the air is cold, top speed just over 78 (GPS). If you switch props, you have to spend time adjusting motor height and testing CAREFULLY to make a good decision, otherwise you get a lot of randomness. Also, pitch is not the ONLY consideration. Diameter, rake, cupping, etc. all influence the final result.
    2008 Bass Cat Pantera Classic
    2014 Mercury Pro XS 200

14. Member
    Not in my case. I've ran a 27 pitch Fury and a 27 Tempest Plus on my Triton 21 hp. With a 10 Hydrodynamics plate and 250ho E-Tec the Tempest smoked the Fury in both holeshot and top end.

See my original post. If you had tried a 26 Fury and lowered it 1/2-3/4", you would've had different result.

Quote Originally Posted by wise 1 View Post
    Not in my case. I've ran a 27 pitch Fury and a 27 Tempest Plus on my Triton 21 hp. With a 10 Hydrodynamics plate and 250ho E-Tec the Tempest smoked the Fury in both holeshot and top end.

Joe Perez
    Boatless white trash

16. Member
    2004 Nitro 901CDX with 200HP Merc, 25p Tempest vs 24p Fury. Hole shot and top end were the same, gained rpms with the 24p, biggest difference was mid range acceleration. Fury got me to max faster thru the middle.

17. Member
    The heavier the boat the faster the tempest will be, the lighter the boat the faster the fury will be.

They are made to do different things. What boat and motor and load you have will dictate which one was faster.

You're right about that. The fastest my 225 Opti did was 73.8 w 2 people, 4 batteries, tourney load and one full well running a Croxton 26 tempest. Better than 25 Fury ever did but could not turn 26 Fury adequately until I got the 250 ProXS

Quote Originally Posted by 90 5.0 View Post
    The heavier the boat the faster the tempest will be, the lighter the boat the faster the fury will be.

They are made to do different things. What boat and motor and load you have will dictate which one was faster.

Joe Perez
    Boatless white trash

19. Member
    All things being equal,I did indeed have the Fury set lower. The Fury had very little lift and no bite a midrange. The Fury felt like mush on my setup.

20. Member
    GEEBASS200 what boat are you going to try the props on because that will decide which is best.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast