Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Best southern lake towns to raise a family?

So I've got a newborn on the way and that has me contemplating some major life decisions. For various reasons I won't bore you all with I would much rather raise my son(and future kids) down south on(or very near) a great fishing lake.

I have lived near Lake Murray outside of Columbia and really feel like I'm being drawn back to that area. Lexington appears to have great schools and it still seems very reasonably priced. I would love to get some input and ideas from some others though!

Look in the upstate of South Carolina. Beautiful place. Great schools, economy. Great fishing too.
    " A Few Good Fish"
    Please check out my youtube channel
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuuwIthNWDweOTGjtkfOVGw

3. Member
    Guntersville Alabama, the shoals area in north Alabama.

4. Team Catfish Original hatcreek's Avatar
    Russellville, Arkansas... Lake Dardanelle & Arkansas River.

College (ATU) town; fine medical/educational resources, surrounded by national forests, wildlife refuges and wildlife management areas... Great place to raise a family and within a couple hours of many exceptional and varied fisheries (and at least one bobcat) in any direction.
    Who controls John Gill?

5. Banned
    Rhea County, Dayton TN.

Bill

6. Member
    Cullman, Alabama
    city school system is great. If you're luckily selected, you can live out of district (county) and get in city school system.

Near smith lake, guntersville, wheeler, pickwick, Wilson, coosa river. Any direction you drive you'll be at a lake in 30-45 minutes.
    Joey Aderhold

7. Member
    Murray,Ky.

8. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wwc3 View Post
    Murray,Ky.
    Don't they have vampires?

9. Member
    Many of the above are great. Depending on how far South you want to go. Jasper, Tx is very close to Sam Rayburn and Toledo Bend.
    2014 Phoenix 721XP, 250 SHO, Bobs Action Jack, Dual Blades, 112 Ultrex, 2019 Lariat FX4 F150 Supercrew 4x4

10. Member
    The north Georgia mountains are a great place to raise your family. There are not a lot of jobs, what kind of work do you do?

11. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilligan412 View Post
    So I've got a newborn on the way and that has me contemplating some major life decisions. For various reasons I won't bore you all with I would much rather raise my son(and future kids) down south on(or very near) a great fishing lake.

I have lived near Lake Murray outside of Columbia and really feel like I'm being drawn back to that area. Lexington appears to have great schools and it still seems very reasonably priced. I would love to get some input and ideas from some others though!
    Seeing you're from the Murray area, the Prosperity/Irmo area may be up your alley. Or as Tarheel14 says the upstate is a good choice too. Seneca/Clemson are excellent choices. You've got Keowee on one side and Hartwell on the other.

Vinton, Va. located about 3 miles from Roanoke, Va.

Great little town and surrounding areas offer great subdivisions or lake living. Located about 6 miles from Smith Mt Lake. 550 miles of some of the best bass and striper fishing on the east coast. Top rated schools also.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jaderhold View Post
    Cullman, Alabama
    city school system is great. If you're luckily selected, you can live out of district (county) and get in city school system.

Near smith lake, guntersville, wheeler, pickwick, Wilson, coosa river. Any direction you drive you'll be at a lake in 30-45 minutes.
    I am partial to Rainbow City myself. He has a point. You have the coosa river chain which is where I live. Then, you have the Tennessee river chain in north Alabama. All of these, depending on where you live, is within 2 hour drive.
    1997 STRATOS 285 PE EVINRUDE INTRUDER 175

14. Member
    Tulsa, OK... Namely North towards Skiatook or East towards Broken Arrow... Lots of lakes within an hour, good schools with a range of sizes. I have no desire to leave Oklahoma... get a decent winter for a reset, but 5 months of summer time lake weather.

....and the fish bite all year!

Heber springs, ark

xpress x19, 200ho G2, aluminum sawtooth cut prop, paper sack tackle storage, ugly stik pro team, color c-lector

16. Banned
    The South is full of fine lakes and rivers. I'm kind'a partial to the Tennessee River--650 miles of navigable water--and there are fine big and small towns the whole length of it.

Throughout the South, just about every major city has its own lake for drinking water--except Memphis.

You've just got to get out there and visit those places.

17. Member
    Thanks for all the great ideas so far, I've got a lot of research to do!

Quote Originally Posted by jrodgers View Post
    The north Georgia mountains are a great place to raise your family. There are not a lot of jobs, what kind of work do you do?
    A big hurdle for me, and probably the reason I'm not already down there is work. I'm a funeral director right now but I would really prefer to get out of that line of work. I have a few rental properties, and have flipped a few homes over the past 5 years or so and really enjoyed doing it so I think I'll give real estate sales and development a shot, but i'm also open to suggestions on that!

18. Banned
    Stay near family... A support system is very helpful and far more important than a "great fishing lake"... Dan

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan210Elite View Post
    Stay near family... A support system is very helpful and far more important than a "great fishing lake"... Dan
    There is much more to my decision to move than just finding a great fishing lake.... Not all families are equal, i'll just leave it at that !

Quote Originally Posted by Gilligan412 View Post
    Thanks for all the great ideas so far, I've got a lot of research to do!

A big hurdle for me, and probably the reason I'm not already down there is work. I'm a funeral director right now but I would really prefer to get out of that line of work. I have a few rental properties, and have flipped a few homes over the past 5 years or so and really enjoyed doing it so I think I'll give real estate sales and development a shot, but i'm also open to suggestions on that!
    Well I live in Bella Vista AR, lots of retired folks here, you'd probably stay busy working in the funeral business.

Bentonville has great schools, just built a new high school, and another, I believe it is elementary school, on the way. I don't know what the exact unemployment rate is, but it's below 4%. Lots of construction going on.
    Fishing - Nearest lake is Beaver, mediocre for bass, but has a decent striper fishery. Grand Lake and Table Rock are both within an hour, hour and a half.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast