Bass Pro Nitro (Maryland) I live sooo close but I'm Leary!!!

I'm preparing to purchase my first ever boat. I know I want glass, and won't be happy in anything under 19'. I know cuz I know how I am. I live so close to bass pro but have seen nothing but horror stories, with sprinkles of good here and there about dealing with BPS. I live in Annapolis and while we have no shortage of motor mechanics and fiberglass repair, I did say I was a first timer, we have 1 bass boat dealer that is truly local and not 1-2 hrs away.....and that's bass pro. Since I'm a first timer I have no leanings toward a single brand.....but I could drive 20 minutes to bass pro versus 1-2 hrs around DC to get to another nitro Phoenix ranger or skeeter dealer.

ill be honest if not for the distance I would be locked into another brand, and nitro would not be a top choice. My proximity to Bass pro though makes it my #2. My budget is 50k. I am perfectly fine with dealing with costs associated with potential newbie mistakes, and a used nitro is definitely in play. I also kayak fish a ton, so my boat will just be an extra fishing tool.

Should i I be worried about solely dealing with Bass Pro? They perform repairs on site.
    im curious out of all the people here who love their nitro....how many are sponsored?
    As a first timer how many trips should I expect to take during year one of ownership to a dealer?
    Does anyone have horror stories dealing with bass pro customer service? Nitro customer service?

Nitro seem as solid as the rest, Mercury, minn Kota all of these components are standard across most brands....I don't buy into the brand war crap......I just don't want to pass up something that will make my boat ownership incredibly easy when I'm running down the road vs 2-4 hours round trip!......of course from the sound of it bass pro is gonna make that 2-4hrs with DC traffic feel like a cake walk. Lol. Thanks!

As with any dealer talk to the service manager if possible.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

Don't let an hour or two prevent you from getting the boat you want. That being said I really do prefer nitro for my uses and situations. Honestly if you get a boat from anywhere and rig the accessories yourself you will save good money and you will avoid poor local dealer bs wether it is bass pro or someone else.

The way I see it is a new boat shouldn't be going back to the boat store 90% of the time(and if it does it should only be once), only a authorized outboard shop for 10 hour service/ maintenance

Same situation here in NE Florida, no real Bass Boat dealers that I know of - we do have a Ranger Dealer that deals mostly with bay/inshore but can order anything, but doesn't really have any freshwater boat setup experience. The major bass boat shops that have experience and deal with multiple brands are a few hours away - Holiday Maine, Toho, etc... There is BPS in Orlando, a smaller one in Gainesville, and one coming to Jax in the next few years, supposedly, which will at least be a local shop.

5. Member
    I am a first time Nitro owner. I bought from an independent dealer 2 hours away. I took it back in for some overlooked items and got terrible service and was treated like a red headed step child. I happen to have a BPS service center 12 miles from my house. My rig is 10 months old and has had a couple of items that needed attention. The BPS center has taken care of me. My rig is there right now with an axle problem. John L. Morris who owns BPS is all about customer service.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jig_Man View Post
    I am a first time Nitro owner. I bought from an independent dealer 2 hours away. I took it back in for some overlooked items and got terrible service and was treated like a red headed step child. I happen to have a BPS service center 12 miles from my house. My rig is 10 months old and has had a couple of items that needed attention. The BPS center has taken care of me. My rig is there right now with an axle problem. John L. Morris who owns BPS is all about customer service.
    this is part of what makes me Leary. I feel like there might be a littl more personal service with another brand.im so tired of getting worked over by these large corporations. At the same time i reckon most don't really have to care. Much like your real estate agent they don't care about customer equity once the check clears they are gone, and so is the customer service.....definitely good to hear a positive experience with bass pro. Thanks

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BMCD View Post
    As with any dealer talk to the service manager if possible.
    i appreciate the advice I'll give this a try. Reckon that's who I'll be dealing with if thing go catywumpus.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishysam View Post
    Don't let an hour or two prevent you from getting the boat you want. That being said I really do prefer nitro for my uses and situations. Honestly if you get a boat from anywhere and rig the accessories yourself you will save good money and you will avoid poor local dealer bs wether it is bass pro or someone else.

The way I see it is a new boat shouldn't be going back to the boat store 90% of the time(and if it does it should only be once), only a authorized outboard shop for 10 hour service/ maintenance
    thanks I have no doubt they are good boats. I think some reviews I've read are just angry people who didn't read the warranty info. I also think the knowingly leave out details when writing negative reviews....I'm focused in on a few specs for my first boat, but brand is really undetermined. Thanks for the advice!

Make sure you ask the questions on what is important to you. Cause if u need service there is nothing more frustrating then leaving a boat at a shop for 3 weeks before they look t it.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team