Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
    Banned

Skeeter Trailers are Junk!!

Folks:

I'm looking for some advice. I have a 2010 FX20. I have had the boat for (2) seasons now. I fish at several different places and therefore launch at many different sites. I have NEVER been able to load the boat without problem. If I do not have another adult with me it is virtually impossible to load.

Here is what I do (I am open to advice). I back the trailer all the way in to get the bunks wet. I then pull out so the tops of the trailer sides are just sticking out of the water...like I have with all of my boats throughout the years. When I drive the Skeeter on the trailer the nose of the boat comes in too low to the front "bowtie" roller. I then put the hook on it from the winch and have to pull the trailer out of the water more so the nose of the boat comes up. Just to back up, before I pull the trailer out to get the nose up if it isn't down too far I can lift the nose of the boat up while the other guy cranks it up.

Anyway, after I pull the trailer out a bit to get the nose up then there is too much weight/friction that I cannot crank it up or drive it up the rest of the way. I am frustrated to the point that I am considering trading this boat in already. I had a Ranger (19 ft.) prior to this boat and on all of the same ramps never had as much as an issue. It seems to me that the boards need to come up or the roller in the front is too high.

The other night i took my two boys fishing at a small canal (ages 5 and 9). At 9PM I we were leaving. I struggled over an hour trying to load this boat. I tried everything possible to get this loaded. I moved the truck an inch at a time etc. to try everything with no luck. At one point I bcked in further to see if I could get it above the front roller and the boat then floated off of the trailer. It is almost like this is the wrong trailer for this boat! If it wasnt for a couple of guys showing up at the ramp to night fish I do not know what I would have done. Two of us were able to lift the boat enough to get it high enough to be cranked up.

I broke my winch in this whole process as well. What a piece of shit!! I will never buy another Skeeter again!! I will go back to Ranger in a heart beat!! I was so pissed the other night I contemplated leaving a $75k boat float a way and just leaving the whole thing there.

Before anyone has negative comments a few facts. First and foremost, I am not an idiot. I am a highly educated individual that is very mechanically inclined. I have been fishing since I was a kid (loading and driving boats etc.). This is my 5th bass boat and I have NEVER had problems ever until I go this Skeeter. This trailer is a piece of shit design!!

On another note: I checked the oil on my SHO after reading all of the post. The oil doesn't have that many hours on it since last change. The dip stick read 3" above the highest normal level and the oil was black and thin and smelled like gas. I love the motor but if it blows what good is it?

Rangers may be slower but the quality destroys Skeeter. They are not in the same league. I have had other continuous problems I wont even mention. My dealer has been fantastic about getting things taken care of. One other piece of info. I barely use my boat and baby it. It is garage kept and always showroom condition. I do not abse the boat etc. to be having these problems.

Re: Skeeter Trailers are Junk!! (SKEETERFX)

The quick fix would be to spend the extra dough and get some of those poly bunk boards....super slick and easy to load.

http://www.ultimatebunkboards.com/

3. Member

I understand your frustration. When I got my boat it took me several times to find the sweet spot. For my combination it seems to work best if I back the trailer into the water, to wet the bunks, and then pull up so that about 3-4 inches of the fender is out of the water. I use the motor to push the boat up to the front roller. Good luck and sorry to hear you are having so many problems with your Skeeter.

4. Member

Re: Skeeter Trailers are Junk!! (simtech)

I have an FX 20 and have the same exact problems. I have to back it into the water so far that I go almost to my knees in water to load and unload it. I worry when the water gets cold what I am going to do when I am not wearing flip flops and shorts. When I do load it, most of the time it doesn't go on straight. For the last 11 years I have run a 21 ft. Triton, which by the way will be my next boat as soon as I can sell this one. I have a 2010 FX with a 250 SHO. No problems with the motor but I don't like the FX, it has a poor rough water ride and I have taken 2 waves over the back of the transom because it sits so low in the water.

5. Member

Re: Skeeter Trailers are Junk!! (JRBjr)

I've never had a problem putting my '05 ZX on straight and as far as having to back a long way into the water that all depends on how steep the ramp is.

Usually if i leave 1-2ft of the middle bunks out of the water it's fine. For those ramps which cause the boat to drop from the winch bumper i just leave the trailer a little further out of the water with more bunk showing and it glides on fine. After that i just drop back in slightly and winch it on fully.

It's not the best trailer in the world but for me it does the job. Yes ranger make a nicer trailer but i've heard of people having issues with them too.

Current: 2006 ~ 20i ~ 250 HPDI ~ T1-25p
    Previous: 2005 ~ ZX 225 ~ 250 HPDI Phase III - TXP 26p

6. Member

Re: Skeeter Trailers are Junk!! (SkeeterJohn)

Are you power loading? I have found that the tandem axle trailer seem to need to be shallower in the water to load or you will go under the bow roller. I leave the ends of the outer bunks nearly a foot out of the water. You might try your's this way. It appears you are getting too deep.

7. Member

Re: Skeeter Trailers are Junk!! (JRBjr)

Triton uses same crappy trailers

8. Banned
    I have that trouble with my TZX190 on steep ramps. The bunks have to be set just right.

I really have to rev the RPM to power it on, more than I like. I don't know if there's a limit to the amount of throttle to give it up, I hate to find out the hard way.

I've chipped the glass on the nose of my bow from hitting and missing.

The trick is to avoid really steep ramps :)

Re: (BassinOKC)

My sweet spot is keep the front bunks any where from 10"-12" guesstimating out of the water. Get the boat lined up and ease it on the trailer. Once aligned goose the motor a little and seat the boat all the way up. Took me a couple of tries with the longer boat to get the right spot. Shallow ramps I may have to back the trailer a little further. I can usually get the boat loaded faster than a lot of folks with 2 people. No need to change the bunks out. Just spend some time on the ramp when it isn't busy and play with your set up.

I leave the outside bunks barely out of the water and ive never had any prob with my 2011 zx225

11. Member

I had the same issues when I first got my zx200. As several have stated, leave about 12" of your center bunks out of the water and you should be able to load without a problem. I don't have the same model boat as you but your problems sound a lot like mine, right after I first got it.

12. Member
    Same exact issue with zx 202c. What I finally found to work perfectly was back her down and pull up so only the rear axle is in the water and only the very rear of the fender is submerged. glide in at about 5 mph kick her in neutral and trim up. let the bunks force to the center then as soon as i start losing speed kick her in gear and push her on up. trust me I made myself look like an ass the first 3 times i loaded my boat with the exact same story as you. now that i know how to load it it works great. trust me i dont like the design anymore than you. it shouldnt have to be that difficult to figure it out but once you get it you will wanna kick yourself.

13. Member

Re: (BassinOKC)

<table width="90%" cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0 align=center><tr><td>Quote, originally posted by BassinOKC &raquo;</td></tr><tr><td class="quote">I have that trouble with my TZX190 on steep ramps. </td></tr></table>

Mine too.
    '09 Ranger Z520 Silverado Edition / '09 Evinrude ETEC 250 HO
    '15 Xpress HD16DBX / Merc 59ci

14. Banned

Re: (Ranger391v)

<table width="90%" cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0 align=center><tr><td>Quote, originally posted by Ranger391v &raquo;</td></tr><tr><td class="quote">

Mine too. </td></tr></table>

I've found it best to leave a lot of bunk out of the water.

But then the question is, how much throttle to give it to power on up to the bow roller ?

That's what scares me.

15. Banned

I had very similar problems until I learned to quit trying to load with the trailer in way to deep. Sounds to me like you've given up and decided to blame the trailer instead of experimenting and figuring out the problem. Once you find the sweet spot, you will be driving it right on and bumping the roller.

First, i agree with alot of the guys posting above,,,, your tryin to load with too much trailer in the water,
    power loading, with big motor,,,,,My (humble) opinion, would be leave at least 6in to 12in of the inside bunks sticking out of the water. My rule of thumb, is the steeper the ramp the more i leave out of the water.
    and yes the steeper, you really need some1 else there to hook it and tighten up the bow strap
    again, this is my opinion,, seems the trailer is built where the boat actually supports it some,, that is the only thing i can come up with as to why its so heavy on the bow roller.
    time and practice will make u better at loading it
    gj
    22 BassCat Lynx
    22Mercury proXS
    Hummingbird/garmin
    ALX rods/Shimano /Lews
    Maxwell Flying inc

Two moves all owners should make

I hear you...have had 5 Skeeters...
    EZ Loaders, don't get me started...
    anyway, each owner has to learn the exact water level across where on the trailer for best take out...that being said...

I always get a very manly Fulton WINCH UPGRADE...5:1:1 for about $105 and worth every nickel and also UPGRADE OUTER BOARDS with synthetics (Ultimate Boards)...
    w/o doing that...I would be so frustrated I too would swear off Skeeters due to their trailer supplier...

opinions vary but I have been trailering Skeeters for over 2 decades now and a lot more days a month since retiring in 2004...hope this helps those with issues...sure has helped me cope.

2018 Z19/200 Optimax 2 stroker 24x3 Fury Ultrex 112
    Lowrance HDS 12/9 Lives with 3 in 1 ducers

Re: Two moves all owners should make (reelman)

On the front step of the fender cover it about half way with water so you can see half dry and half wet. Get the boat centered then drive it on. These are drive on trailers. Also make sure the trailer is level on the hitch...too high or too low will effect the angle of trailer at boat ramp. When on flat ground the trailer should be level. Use a receiver that the rise or drop makes the trailer level.

--

http://www.dougvahrenberg.com/

BASS Central Open- Competitive Bass Angler and Humminbird Guru
    Visit my website to learn about my sponsor's products, fishing tips and techniques.

Learn More About Humminbird Side Imaging Visit: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sideimaginggroup/

19. Banned

Re: Skeeter Trailers are Junk!! (Sktr#22)

That won't help. Boat nose comes in too low.

20. Banned

Re: Skeeter Trailers are Junk!! (The Old Man)

I've tried every position. It is a shitty design.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast