Talons on 492VS?

Thinks of adding two 8 foot three stage Talons to the back of the 492. I have no room in the back compartment for power pole pumps. I have a 6 inch slide master jackplate and will mount them to the jackplate. Just wondering with the long set back on this model if there are any issues I should consider before purchase.

will the pumps fit in the set back where the access hole is?

3. Member
    I've got a set of 10s on my 461VS mounted to the jackplate. You'll have to mount them high so they dont drag, which means you wont get the full distance out of them. I get about 8.5' out of my 10' talons, and I lost about 2 mph on my top end. Hole shot was unaffected. One other thing to consider is your trailer. I had to have two 3/4" steel plates welded to the tongue of my trailer in order to keep it from swaying really bad behind me at any sort of highway speed. You're adding about 85lbs to the tail end of the boat, which is going to really effect your tongue weight. All that said, I love them and wouldn't trade them for the world.
    Last edited by bdubz0r; 06-22-2017 at 06:41 PM. Reason: Got the model of my boat wrong lol
    2019 Ranger Z520C
    2019 Mercury 250 ProXS 4S
    Twin 8' Powerpole Blades
    Lowrance HDS Live 12
    Lowrance HDS Live 9

4. Member
    Thanks for the info. I'm would go with 10 footers, but don't think I will be able to get the boat into my garage without a tilt bracket. I really don't want to deal with tilting them every time I come home. I see the 8 foot three stage are really small. I have a duel axle trailer and don't think the extra weight will be a huge issue. It may cost me top end, but the boat was never fast anyway. Great fishing platform.

5. Member
    For what it's worth, when tilted up my outboard only sits 6 inches lower than my talons, and like I said, they're adjusted just about all the way up. But don't mind me, I'm just trying to help spend your money lol. I agree though, I didn't like the boat at first, but it's really grown on me as a fishing platform. I wish I had the extra foot of deck space though.
    2019 Ranger Z520C
    Twin 8' Powerpole Blades
    Lowrance HDS Live 12
    Lowrance HDS Live 9

It sounds like you've done your research so I don't mean to be a contrarian or anything, but agree with bdubz above - the extra height of even 12 footers is less than you might imagine, especially given that an outboard sits much higher when tilted for trailering compared to being tilted more level while on the water. When you see them out on the water they look way higher, but on the trailer it's not so much.

Even if you did find you needed to tilt them due to the extra height, those tilt brackets are pretty slick...My dad has 12 footers on his Triton and though the garage height isn't an issue, we've used the tilt brackets many times to get under low hanging obstacles (pipes crossing a creek, low bridges, culverts between lake sections, etc). Aside from the nuisance of having to climb into the boat when putting it away, you can have them both tilted down in under 10 seconds. The extra places he's able to use his Talons compared to where he would if he only had 8 footers is pretty eye opening. To be fair, most places he fishes are either rivers or impounded rivers where the bank generally drops off pretty quickly from shore. The extra reach may not be that important if you fish mostly natural lakes that slope gradually.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360

7. Member
    My thought was if I'm in water greater than 6-7 feet deep I will use the Ultrex spot lock. My motor when tilted up on the motor toter clears the garage door by about 1/2 inch.

8. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    plenty of room for pumps on a 492vs

9. Member
    I run four group 29 batteries. There is no space in the battery area. The oil tank sits over the bilge area. I could put them in the set back or next to the oil tank. What a joy it would be to service them, or change a transducer, live well or bilge pump. It's already a major pain to get to any of that.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Amistad Tackle View Post
    I run four group 29 batteries. There is no space in the battery area. The oil tank sits over the bilge area. I could put them in the set back or next to the oil tank. What a joy it would be to service them, or change a transducer, live well or bilge pump. It's already a major pain to get to any of that.
    Honestly that's exactly why I have talons and not blades.
    2019 Ranger Z520C
    Twin 8' Powerpole Blades
    Lowrance HDS Live 12
    Lowrance HDS Live 9

11. Member
    I have 10s on a 492V love em no issues. You'll want the tilt brackets, makes cleaning and maintenance easier

12. Member
    Put dual 12s on my 492vs. I did slide the boat forward an inch on the trailer as it lost tongue weight. No other issues.