Anybody own a Heartland

2009 Heartland Landmark August 38' 5th wheel. Anybody own one or have experience with them? We are going to look at one Saturday morning and by the pictures this thing looks perfect. Thoughts please!!!!!!
    2001 ChampioN 206 Yamaha 225

All trailers/5r's are more or less the same. First and foremost is water intrusion. Delamination on the outside is a problem on some. Then check the floor for soft spots, especially around areas where you have water faucets. The sink areas and around the shower. Also check the floor around the end walls. Look at the condition of the floor in the pass through storage area. Look at the slide out seals and the wipers on those. Dry and cracked or brittle ain't good. Make the owner show you everything working. All the lights, A/C, hot water heater, faucets, shower, micro, even click on the furnace. Are the tires dry or showing weather cracking? Look at the roof membrane. What does it look like? Fairly well glossy and slick or weathered and cracked? Just use common sense when looking at a used RV will get you a long way. Should some of these items not pass the test, it could be a simple fix, or it could be a can of worms. Better to find out in the current owners driveway than yours after the money has changed hands.

3. Member
    I got kicked off the Heartland owners website because I asked too many questions as to why the Lippert frames were cracking. It was a major deal and there were quite a few owners that were pizzed off........do some research as to frame or chassis problems. Also whichever brand you buy do yourself a REALLY BIG favor and invest in some 235-80-16 Sailun S637 tires. Most all RV tires are chinese crap and WILL blow or the tread will seperate. My 35' Mountaineer came with the chinese made Good Year Marathons, the day I got it home I changed the tires to the Sailuns. You do have to have wheels that are rated for 110 psi, the info is cast into the back of the wheel. I run right at 100 psi and have never had a problem in over 3.5 yrs. Last I heard, Simple Tire had the best deal on the Sailun....good luck

Pretty much all, except the very high-end, RVs are junk when you get right down to it. When looking at used ones, look hard, everywhere, for evidence of leaking. All over the ceiling and walls and especially the floor. Get to every part of the floor you can and tap or step to check for softness. Especially the corners and around doors and windows. If you do find a good one, immediately re-caulk all of the doors, windows and seams. Look closely at the roofs, too for any signs of tears or wearing. They'll be dirty up there, but do your best. RV roofs are only good for about 10 years or so.
    __________________________________________________ _____________
    2005 Lund Rebel SS 1650 w/25 HP Merc 4-stroke
    USAF 1985 - 2006 NKAWTG!

5. Banned
    Such negativity here today.
    To answer your question: Heartland's Landmark trailer is their best and most expensive fifth wheel trailer. It's relatively heavy and will require a 1 ton dually diesel to tow--if you plan to move around with it. 2009 was back when the company founders owned the company and they were a very customer oriented bunch. Heartland's now a division I believe of Thor--and they're not so customer friendly. Landmarks used to be $75K trailers back in 2009. Now, they run $80K to $120K new. That makes them $25K more expensive than mainstream full size fifth wheels like Montanas and Cardinals but less than DRV Mobile Suites which run up to $165K.

If you can strike a deal on the fifth wheel, you might make it contingent on an inspection. See if you can find a mobile RV tech to make sure all the systems are right and the structure's @ 100%. Labor to fix RV's is about $110 per hour to fix any problems.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
    Such negativity here today.
    To answer your question: Heartland's Landmark trailer is their best and most expensive fifth wheel trailer. It's relatively heavy and will require a 1 ton dually diesel to tow--if you plan to move around with it. 2009 was back when the company founders owned the company and they were a very customer oriented bunch. Heartland's now a division I believe of Thor--and they're not so customer friendly. Landmarks used to be $75K trailers back in 2009. Now, they run $80K to $120K new. That makes them $25K more expensive than mainstream full size fifth wheels like Montanas and Cardinals but less than DRV Mobile Suites which run up to $165K.

If you can strike a deal on the fifth wheel, you might make it contingent on an inspection. See if you can find a mobile RV tech to make sure all the systems are right and the structure's @ 100%. Labor to fix RV's is about $110 per hour to fix any problems.
    Thanks for the update. Going to look at it tomorrow.

7. Banned
    If the Landmark was well maintained I would have no problem buying it.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by riverc View Post
    If the Landmark was well maintained I would have no problem buying it.
    Bought it. It was owned by an older couple, everything worked and it was immaculate (we even had to take off our shoes to look at the inside). The man was a maintenance freak and we got all of the receipts for what had been performed.

9. Banned
    Congrats! Just don't park it at The Landing. I have a story for you from the weekend.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom in Stl View Post
    Congrats! Just don't park it at The Landing. I have a story for you from the weekend.
    It's gonna stay at LOZ for a while

11. Banned
    Glad to hear,you finally found one.You took your time and it paid off.Sounds like you found a great rig now it's time to enjoy it good luck.