Why so many blown power heads (SHO)?

Anyone know why? I've heard of more SHO motors with blown power heads than any other manufacturer (or so it seems)...I have a 2011 that falls out of the replacement program...It only has 35 hours on it and it runs great but it's not under warranty...Thinking of repowering...

The early ones had a thrust washer/bearing issue (im not sure of the exact details since I never owned one in that year range), thus the free replacement program for ones that had it. Since that has been changed/fixed they have proven to be very reliable.

Not sure if your 2011 has the newer design or not
    2021 Phoenix 920 Elite / SHO 250
    Bullet 21XD / 250 XB (Gone to a great home in LA)
    "There is no such thing as a bad day fishing!"

3. Member
    My '14 SHO blew at 196 hours, my buddies '12 SHO blew at 193 hours (thrust washer on both). Appears they aren't perfect yet! That being said, I love my motor and wouldn't trade it for any other brand!!

John

Quote Originally Posted by bassmasterffej View Post
    Anyone know why? I've heard of more SHO motors with blown power heads than any other manufacturer (or so it seems)...I have a 2011 that falls out of the replacement program...It only has 35 hours on it and it runs great but it's not under warranty...Thinking of repowering...

So you called Yamaha and they told you that you were not covered under the replacement program?

Yes....I called them. My serial # falls outside of the replacement program.

6. Member
    Post 2pc thrust bearing design SHOs have been proven to be very reliable. They are not bullet proof just like any other brand, some faults for blown head do include failed oil pumps. There is also hidden truth behind some of those blown power heads.

7. Member
    Since the XA models came out in 15 the only known failure for an XA was due to improperly honed walls that caused the piston to jam. Or at least that is what a dealer told me that worked with yamaha on the XA model.

8. Member
    You only hear about the bad ones. Trust me, plenty of Mercs and Evinrudes take a crap too.

9. Member
    Because for several years, the engineers didn't get it right and the powerheads were of a defective design. Period. I'm surprised there hasn't been a class action, but that may be because Yamaha does take care of customers.

10. Member
    I bet there's been more compressor motors blow than sho's during the same time frame engine for engine.

11. Member
    My last Mercury . 2 fuel injectors went bad . Power trim motor went out . All the coils had to be replaced . Both heads cracked at the spark plugs and water would spray every where . A computer part went bad can't remember the name of it but it was 350 $ then here's the really good part .at the end of my warranty my lower unit seized up and bent the drive shaft . That lower unit was covered THE NEXT Three lower units in a 4 year period were not . It was 2008 250 pro xs . Had over 500 hrs on it When traded. It was in the shop for other items I know I'm missing something . I remember now how could I forget because it costed me 1800$ the motor mounts busted . The lower units were 3500$ a pop. This one motor was a pain in the butt. The other three Mercurys before that were flawless . You don't really know what your going to get just take care of them the best you can .

12. Member
    I have owned both Mercury and Yamaha outboards. I as well can say the Mercury PRO XS line of outboards is a mess!! I owned 3 Mercury outboards from 2007 till 2012, all 3 had many issues way too many to list. My Mercury's had many redesigns of failed coils, broke drive shaft while running and never had a power head last 100 hours with any of my Mercury 250's.

My 250 Yamaha SHO ran 100% for 4 years and 265 hours, and then I did blow one power head. I had no other problems before or after that. I love My Yamaha and can say it is the best combination of reliability and performance money can buy.

Next time you fish in a tournament go out back to the service trailer and the line for the Mercury or Evenrude Tech will be a very long line. Most days the Yamaha tech will be selling props and oils with maybe one boat to work on. DON'T listen to the guys that say it's because more Mercury and Evenrude outboards are on the water that is a STRAIGHT UP LIE. Take all opinion and emotion out of it and look at raw numbers "WARRANTY CLAIMS PER 100 OUTBOARDS" great sources for this are Consumer reports, JD POWER and Consumer AFFAIRS.com. You will see any and all sources that show this data, they all show the same thing the Mercury's are always the fastest but always break down very often. The Yamaha's are good in fact very good and have very few claims, but not perfect. Now the Honda will have almost no WARRANTY claims but all reports show it is the worst performing of the pack. Bottom line is the Yamaha has Great performance maybe not the best but great and blows up every once and a while, but not very often. Pay the money buy the reports that show the facts before you buy your next outboard.
    Last edited by GEEBASS2000; 06-24-2017 at 01:42 PM.

Good post GEE

14. Member
    when you are saying XA model does that mean a power head number stamped on it or is this a model number on the sticker on the motor bracket it self ? If it is on the power head itself where would it be located. thanks

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by poorboy2 View Post
    when you are saying XA model does that mean a power head number stamped on it or is this a model number on the sticker on the motor bracket it self ? If it is on the power head itself where would it be located. thanks
    LA and XA are for the shaft lengths and are 2 different designs for the brackets and lower units. XA has the same everything as the Offshore from bracket down just painted different.
    LA is the 20" shaft on bass boats and some bay boats
    XA is the 25" shaft on CC's and some bay boats and only in 250

http://yamahaoutboards.com/outboards...specifications

Attached Images Attached Images

I have one of the first SHO's ever made and it ran flawlessly for hundreds of hours. Nonetheless I got a new powerhead under the replacement program and a free year of warranty - very cool of Yamaha to do that. Motor with the new powerhead still runs like a top. This motor is very impressive and has never given me a single problem. If it ever did blow I would buy another in a heartbeat.
    2024 Phoenix 21 XE - Mercury 250 PRO XS Serial #3B429919
    2017 Phoenix PHX 21 - Yamaha 250 SHO
    2010 Skeeter 20i - Yamaha 250 SHO
    1988 Procraft 1780 Competitor - Mercury 100

17. Member
    THANKS FOR THE INSIGHT JUST HAD MY 2010 DONE OTHER POWERHEAD WAS FLAWLESS HOPE THIS ONE WILL BE TO GOT 5 HOURS SO FAR STILL BREAKING IN DID YAMAHA SEND YOU WARRANTY IN MAIL OR DO YOU HAVE TO CONTACT THEM?

If you are the original owner and it falls within the serial number range then yes, it will be sent to you in the mail.