Thread: Verado or G2?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Verado or G2?

I like the idea of a digital throttle so you can easily have a hand throttle or foot throttle...

I am looking around pricing boats and noticed these two are similar in price... Never rode in a boat with either one.

The boats I am considering are... Phoenix 920 or 721, Ranger 520, Bass Cat Puma/ Cougar.

I have seen verados on 921s and other large boats but never on a 721 or a cougar / puma.

Ant reason to stay away from one of these?

Greg

2. Member
    You won't (or VERY rarely) see a V-rod on a Puma or Cougar. Too heavy. You will see them on the larger Jaguar though. Four strokes on the Puma/Cougar are usually SHO's.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

3. Member
    I am not a g2 fan but that warranty they are offering is pretty sweet! 1 of my partners had a g2 on a 920 bird and it preformed really well. Why not go with a sho? That will be my next motor.

4. Member
    Both seem decent. Driven a couple newer boats with SHO and a couple boats with G1. No Verdos, but they seem to compete against the SHO
    The SHO is more overrated than G1/G2. The appeal of SHO/Verado seems to be it's reliability and ease of maintenance but not sure it's anymore reliable than BRP product and changing oil seems like its more of a pain than adding oil once or twice per season. The SHO does seem to hold better resale value if that is a concern.

I'm ordering a G2 250 H.O.
    Last edited by magnumb; 06-22-2017 at 02:10 PM.
    2005 206
    BRP 225 H.O. (E225DHLSOF)
    Fury 4 24p @ 5,750 fully loaded

5. Member
    I like the technology, torque, and warranty of the g2. Sure they've got their issues but what motor doesn't?
    Sho's make oil, pro xs' blow compressors and the oil pumps leak. Those 2 have been around too long for those things to still happen.
    I don't know much about verados other than they're heavy and I've seen alot of posts about them stalling. If they were equal to or more reliable than a pro xs you'd see them on the pro's boats since everything is being pushed in the 4 stroke direction.

I have ridden in 3 Verado boats, 2 Triton TR-21Xs and 1 Lund, all of them were flat out runners, I was super impressed. Midrange punch on the V-Rod was amazing, if the G2 is better, that's impressive... I would not hesitate to buy a V-rod on the right hull...
    Heartland of America
    2000 Ranger 520dvx
    2000 Mercury Optimax 225 - 0T136160
    --
    1997 Charger 395TF
    1997 Evinrude Vindicator 200 - G04296981 (E200STLEUB)

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by catdude28 View Post
    You won't (or VERY rarely) see a V-rod on a Puma or Cougar. Too heavy. You will see them on the larger Jaguar though. Four strokes on the Puma/Cougar are usually SHO's.
    Nothing against the SHO or the Pro XS... I just like the idea of having both foot and hand throttles... I like how the G2 comes down from the top like a car as well.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magnumb View Post
    Both seem decent. Driven a couple newer boats with SHO and a couple boats with G1. No Verdos, but they seem to compete against the SHO
    The SHO is more overrated than G1/G2. The appeal of SHO/Verado seems to be it's reliability and ease of maintenance but not sure it's anymore reliable than BRP product and changing oil seems like its more of a pain than adding oil once or twice per season. The SHO does seem to hold better resale value if that is a concern.

I'm ordering a G2 250 H.O.
    In my searching I found that some say the difference in weight is only 70 lbs when you consider you do not have the sea star steering and oil tanks with the Verado or G2.

9. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    You do have an oil tank with the G2 but it is internal to the engine. There isn't a remote like your G1 has. There are a lot of features that would make me look at the G2. Both are comparable in pricing.

I love the verado on pontoons. Im sure they would be awesome on any hull big enough to handle it

xpress x19, 200ho G2, aluminum sawtooth cut prop, paper sack tackle storage, ugly stik pro team, color c-lector

I drove a 201 Evo with a new G2 250 HO at a demo day and all I can say is wow...that motor is an absolute beast. If I ever go back to a 2 stroke...first on the list would be the G2.

12. Member
    g2 gets my vote!!
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

13. Member
    Verado Pro or just the regular Verado?

14. Member
    I fish with a buddy occasionally and he has a 200 Verado on his Lund. He loves the Verado and hasn't had any issues with it.

15. Member
    I got a buddy that has a brand new 350 verado on a Jag, nothin but problems on that thing, and im super sketched out on the eltronic steering seeing how he has done multiple 180's going over 70mph

16. Member
    Funny......no problems with my 400 Verado on my jag doing over 80mph. The jaguar has a very deep sharp keel. Can't chop the throttle when you have the boat aired out or trim down to fast. This will cause the the bow of boat to grab as it enters water and you'll go around very quickly. Doubt the Verado has anything to do with problem, especially at speeds in the 70mph zone. Several guys with that combo and zero issues. Also, if he has 3 blade prop (probably a 3 blade fury) tell him to go to a rev 4 prop 25p to start. Don't like 3 blade props on heavy hulled boats, but that's just me.Have had several Verados on bass boats and center console off shore boats. Never one issue! sure the G2 is great engine as well, but my days of owning 2 strokes have been long gone.
    Last edited by 32regulator; 06-22-2017 at 11:46 PM.

On a lighter boat stay with a lighter engine.
    I would get the G2 if there were Mechanics around to work on it??

Quote Originally Posted by Landry10 View Post
    I got a buddy that has a brand new 350 verado on a Jag, nothin but problems on that thing, and im super sketched out on the eltronic steering seeing how he has done multiple 180's going over 70mph

I have a Jag/350 verado with over forty trips since I got it last Nov. I have never had it do anything like you describe. I have been in very rough water, crossed crew boat wakes etc with no hint of a hook. Also the boat will run 77 loaded with a rev 25 on the engine. As far as the engine it has been fantastic. I like the electric steer after getting use to driving it at speed. As far as a puma/cougar with a 250 there aren't to many out there. After having a puma with a 250 pro xs and two talons with a 4 batteries I think think it can handle the extra weight of the verado but I would not put two pole on the stern with that engine.

Quote Originally Posted by Landry10 View Post
    Hard to believe mercury put out such a dangerous system! I just rode in a big salt boat last weekend with 5 on the back with 2000hrs. He wasnt a mercury salesman and told me theyve never been in the shop. Im lucky we made it back in!!

xpress x19, 200ho G2, aluminum sawtooth cut prop, paper sack tackle storage, ugly stik pro team, color c-lector

20. Member
    ive heard the verados dont do well on gas mileage

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast