Thread: Mercury xr6 150

Mercury xr6 150

I have a 1990 Mercury xr6 that idles fine and runs wot fine but on holeshot it surges and bogs sometimes I can even get out of the hole and if it does it jumps 2000 rpms, I pulled the spark plugs and they were excessively wet I replaced them and went to the lake. First holeshot was awesome but started to degrade fast what do you guys think
    1989 Ranger 361v
    2000 Yamaha V-MAX 150 EFI

2. Member
    make sure fuel system is clean all th way through filter from tank new hose [merc]/ fuel pump kit for starts
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

3. Member
    1. Are you sure about the 1990? I thought the XR6 came along in 1992. I bought a new Astro '92 model in 1992 and it came with the first edition of the XR6. In 1991 they were shipping with the 2.4 liter XR4 motor.

2. The early XR6 motors had a couple of issues. One was with coils going bad, the second was with the voltage regulators sitting directly on the block between the two cylinder heads. They came out with a service bulletin and installed standoffs to get 'em off that hot exhaust plate that was cooking them.

I had a bad coil in mine and it was a royal pain to find because it was highly intermittent. Ran fine, didn't run fine. Ran like a strong 150, ran like a weak 90. Dealer found it finally, had it hooked to muffs and idling in back of shop, working on other things. Idled just fine for 30-40 minutes and suddenly started running rough. Tech ran over and started pulling plug wires and found the bad coil, finally. Motor didn't feel like it was missing when running, was just weak.
    2008 Bass Cat Pantera Classic
    2014 Mercury Pro XS 200

4. Member
    New pump last year and all new gas line from the carbs to the tank it's a 1993'sorry guys
    1989 Ranger 361v

5. Member
    Oldtimer57 sounds a lot like what mine is doing
    1989 Ranger 361v

6. Member
    check needle valves and seats, they may not be seating all the way and dumping to much fuel

7. Member
    need to check voltage at coils when problem is occurring DVA TEST
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................