Lowrance vs Humminbird Question

Long time lurker, but I have a question. I've been reading up on this, but I want to make sure I'm on the right track. I'm looking at putting fish finders on my boat, but I want to be able to incorporate engine monitoring if I can. This is on an Xpress AWD 18 with a Yamaha F70 tiller stear duck boat.

So, if I go Lowrance, I was thinking about doing the Elite-7 TI in the back so I can have side scan, not sure what I would put up front but I would want something with down scan. Basically my understanding is that I would need to get the NMEA 2000 starter kit which would have 3 hookups and the Yamaha cable. Would this allow me to get RPMs and such on the 7 TI or am I completely not understanding how this works? Would I also be able to network to the front finder via the NMEA 2000 setup or does Lowrance use an Ethernet cable?

If if I were to go Humminbird, I guess I would have to go with a Helix 7 SI GPS G2N in the back and a Helix 7 DI GPS G2N up front to even be able to network with Ethernet. From there I would still have to buy the Humminbird dongle and the NMEA 2000 starter kit and the Yamaha cable correct?

To me it seems like the Lowrance setup would be more cost effective in the long run would it not? This isn't anything that needs to be rushed. I'm just wanting a fish finder up front and a way to have one incorporated with engine monitoring in the back. If you have any other suggestions, I'm all ears.

Thanks,

2. Member
    I don't think the Lowrance Ti or Humminbird Helix 5 or 7 have nmea ports.. but I could be wrong

3. Member
    Not 100% sure on the new elites but the old ones had nema 2000 but no Ethernet.

Are you sure you can get engine readings off a tiller motor?

Quote Originally Posted by Bassmaster611 View Post
    I don't think the Lowrance Ti or Humminbird Helix 5 or 7 have nmea ports.. but I could be wrong

The G2N Humminbird Helix 7 models have Ethernet for the NMEA dongle. The first generation and G2 models do not.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassmaster611 View Post
    The Ti and the G2N list it as having the NMEA ports as far as their websites. As long as I was reading it correctly.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 90 5.0 View Post
    Not 100% sure on the new elites but the old ones had nema 2000 but no Ethernet.

Are you sure you can get engine readings off a tiller motor?

I took a quick glance the other day and thought I saw the cord under the cowl. Probably should check closer.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TNDude85 View Post
    I took a quick glance the other day and thought I saw the cord under the cowl. Probably should check closer.

Looked again this evening, and it does have the 4 prong plug that connects to the Yamaha cable from lowrance. I also found a document on lowrance's website that says the motors down to 50 should have the plug.

8. Member
    Have you looked at Raymarine Axiom?

Quote Originally Posted by Jig34 View Post
    Have you looked at Raymarine Axiom?
    Isn't the comparable version of the axiom to the elite 7 ti double the price?

10. Member
    TI is roughly $800 and Axiom 7 RV is $1,350. However that's not really an apples for apples comparison of products.

Welcome aboard
    There are also Lowrance,hummingbird,garmin and Raymarine forums here where you can get alto of questions answered.
    " Talking to you is like clapping with one hand "
    Anthrax

12. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Lowrance Ti 7, 9 & 12 does have NMEA port except for the Ti 5.......there are no ethernet ports on the Ti units.....assuming you can connect your motor to the network then you would need to purchase the nmea network and nmea motor to to get engine data......the Ti units can use either the LSS 2/sonar ducer combo with splitter cable, total scan ducer or HDI ducer.....so for you boat setup sounds like a totalscan in rear (side/down/sonar) and HDI in front (down/sonar).
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jig34 View Post
    TI is roughly $800 and Axiom 7 RV is $1,350. However that's not really an apples for apples comparison of products.
    I like the looks of that one but that out of the price range for two units on this boat. Thank you though.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishin couillon View Post
    Lowrance Ti 7, 9 & 12 does have NMEA port except for the Ti 5.......there are no ethernet ports on the Ti units.....assuming you can connect your motor to the network then you would need to purchase the nmea network and nmea motor to to get engine data......the Ti units can use either the LSS 2/sonar ducer combo with splitter cable, total scan ducer or HDI ducer.....so for you boat setup sounds like a totalscan in rear (side/down/sonar) and HDI in front (down/sonar).

Thanks, that sounds like the direction I'm leaning. Honestly between the two brands, I'm trying to figure out which is the most cost effective for what I'm wanting to do. So far it sounds like I would be ahead with the Lowrance units.

15. Banned
    youre going to have better nmea connectivity with the lowrance. for full nmea on humminbird you need to move up to the solix series

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TroyBoy30 View Post
    youre going to have better nmea connectivity with the lowrance. for full nmea on humminbird you need to move up to the solix series

Thanks, I appreciate the info. Guess that answers that.

17. Banned
    just shoot me an email if you have any questions

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TroyBoy30 View Post
    just shoot me an email if you have any questions
    Thanks, will do. Not immediately ready to buy but wanted to do some reasearch.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne P. View Post
    The G2N Humminbird Helix 7 models have Ethernet for the NMEA dongle. The first generation and G2 models do not.
    Nema 2k and Ethernet aren't even remotely the same thing.

20. Banned
    No they aren't, but what he said is correct. Re-read it