Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Trailer tire wear help

I have a shorelander trailer single axel with an 18ft crestliner on it. Ever since I have owned it the tires have worn very badly. They wear the inside and outside edges very bad but the center has very little wear. I measured a few things and cant find anything significantly out of alignment.

When I first got it, it would sway behind the truck pretty easy, first trailer I have ever had this issue with. From reading online it said I needed more tounge weight, so I slide the axle back as far as I could and pulled the boat ahead a little. This helped with the sway but it still has some. I put new tires on after this and went up from 1800lb/tire to 2500lb/tire load range thinking some of the wear was from overloading the tires. Nope, still does the same thing.

Any ideas?

2. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Normally wear on both inside and outside is a result of under-inflation. Swaying might contribute as well. Is your tongue level when towing?
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

3. Member
    If the trailer has twin axles then sharp turns can wear the inside and outsides of the tires by dragging the tires on the axle side ways depending on which direction you are turning. Also low air pressure will cause the outer edges to wear and where the tire is wearing on the middle of the tread is a sign of over inflating. My trailer tires are rated for 50 lbs cold and that is what I carry in them. I can see my tires flex due to a sharp turn and that flexing will wear the tire on the inside & outside edges. If with you having a single axle trailer then under inflation or a bent axle can cause uneven wear. You can always take it to a frame repair shop and they can put it on the rack and check alignment of the axle and wheels to see if there's a problem with the axles and or bent frame... They usually want the boat on the trailer to do their checks..
    2019 Bass Cat Eyra
    Mercury 250 Pro SX
    4 Stroke 2B591496

4. Member
    This is a single axle trailer. I run them at max inflation and like I said also put tire new tires that go up to 65psi. Only thing I can figure is it still the trailer swaying a little an rolling the edges under when it does this. Its fairly level and has as much tounge weight as I can give it.

Any suggestions on getting rid of the sway?

5. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by puhlw View Post
    This is a single axle trailer. I run them at max inflation and like I said also put tire new tires that go up to 65psi. Only thing I can figure is it still the trailer swaying a little an rolling the edges under when it does this. Its fairly level and has as much tounge weight as I can give it.

Any suggestions on getting rid of the sway?
    How level is fairly level? Better a hair low than a hair high.
    nothing else matters.​

6. Member
    I would say 2-3 inches down in the front

7. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    I'd think you want to measure your tongue weight and trailer weight.
    nothing else matters.​

8. Member
    I have thought about that though I really don't have any good options to increase tongue weight other than just adding weight which seems silly. Maybe just live with it and put new tires on every 5 years or so.

10. Member
    Yeah it seems they would be under inflated from the images but I already added 1500lbs of load capacity with the new tires and keep them pumped up. That's why I'm stumped. Boats around 3000 loaded and my tongue weight is something over 250lb not sure my scale maxed out

So your new tires are already showing the same wear pattern ?

12. Member
    Well they were new 3 years ago, getting pretty bad now. Same issue with the smaller tires though

13. Member
    First I think I'd make sure your trailer tongue isn't angled down. That could engage your brakes IMHO. I have followed torsion bar trailers on the highway and seen extreme camber angle changes as they hit irregularities in the road, far more than spring mounted axles. Conceivably this could scrub tread off.
    First though, check your tire gauge for accuracy, you are describing low pressure results.

Definitely a head scratcher -----
    With the new tires inflated at max the wear pattern you describe is a new one for me.

15. Member

USA

You might have a bent axle. It will wear out tires fast.

How heavy are the springs in the trailer?

17. Member
    not sure on the springs, I believe its a 3500lb axle which I may be pushing up against when loaded down. Its possible the springs are maxed out, but doesnt make sense to me why this would wear the tires like this. I will get a picture tonight an post.

Quote Originally Posted by puhlw View Post
    not sure on the springs, I believe its a 3500lb axle which I may be pushing up against when loaded down. Its possible the springs are maxed out, but doesnt make sense to me why this would wear the tires like this. I will get a picture tonight an post.
    I was just curious if maybe the springs are bouncing too much. Thinking that if they are, it probably wouldn't make a difference which tires you have on the trailer. They might wear the same regardless. But I don't know for certain.

19. Member
    Are you running bias ply or radials?

20. Member
    ill have to check i think they are bias, but for some reason I think the original tires were radials. I can check my spare I guess to see what the originals were.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast