Banned

Thumbs Up KY Lake - Marshall County - Tourism Dollars

I listened to a presentation this morning given by the tourism board in Marshall County.

Last year tourism had a local economic impact of $150 million, which contributed $2 million in tax revenues to Marshall County. I was pretty shocked at that. Without tourism, each resident would have to pay an additional $1,250 in taxes to make up the difference.

I tried to figure out if they had completed any studies on bass fishing and bass fishing tournaments, but they said it wasn't broken out in the study to know the numbers for that.

They said tourism was up a good bit from the previous year. The study also indicated that families rarely take a 7+ day vacation anymore, that most take a 3 to 5 day vacation max and has a pretty substantial impact on tourism.

Marshall County ranks 14th in the state in tourism, and is the only designated "rural" area in the top 20.

Just some interesting data that I thought I would share as I was a bit surprised by it. I would like to know how much the price of gas impacts tourism, it has to be a huge contributing factor, especially when most of Marshall County's tourism involves boating and heavy fuel usage.

2. Member
    Where do I send my $1250???

3. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Leebob View Post
    Where do I send my $1250???

I already send them $2400 a year and they still want more, said they'll have to quit providing 911 service if they don't increase it