Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cool Looking for a different prop

I have a 1999 ranger R83 with a mercury 175 efi. Has a 25P tempest 2/3 holes are wide open and the other is half open. it doesn't have a jack plate. By myself the boat will run 62 at 5800. And my hole shot is good. How ever when my live wells are full, also two guys at 250 a piece. My hole shot is awful. And roughly top speed of 58mph, which I am not concerned about my top speed. But need better hole shot.

i am not familiar with props and setups. But any help is appreciated. Also would a 4 blade prop be better for me.

another note. Last weekend my boat holeshot good early that am empty livewell 2 guys. (Cool temp) later in day with the hot muggy air and livewell full seemed like took forever.
    RANGER BOATS

2. Member
    Also I will check Saturday, but I am 95% sure I am close to 3500 while trying to plane out.
    also if my trailer is not back far enough in water to load the motor will bog down instead of push the boat onto the trailer.
    RANGER BOATS

3. Member
    A 24 Trophy should get you out of the hole quicker and turn about the same RPM as the 25 Tempest. Have you tried removing the other plug to see if that helps any? I run a 25 Trophy and a 25 Tempest. For me, the Trophy is the better prop. It's actually a little faster than the Tempest, and turns about 200 fewer RPM. My Tempest isn't in perfect shape, but I like the handling better with the Trophy anyway.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mrdeath View Post
    A 24 Trophy should get you out of the hole quicker and turn about the same RPM as the 25 Tempest. Have you tried removing the other plug to see if that helps any? I run a 25 Trophy and a 25 Tempest. For me, the Trophy is the better prop. It's actually a little faster than the Tempest, and turns about 200 fewer RPM. My Tempest isn't in perfect shape, but I like the handling better with the Trophy anyway.
    so have all 3 holes wide open?
    RANGER BOATS

5. Member
    Yes, try that first. At worst, you'll get some blowout when you break over.

6. Member
    Get a 24" tempest and have it worked and you'll gain some speed and get a better hole shot. Your rpm's need to be at least 3500 on hole shot and 62 at 5800 rpm's means that prop is slipping bad.

7. Member
    Have you called Ranger? They can tell you what prop you should be running based off of the hull and motor info. That's what I did.
    2003 Ranger 205 VX
    2007 Mercury Optimax

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tejones121 View Post
    Have you called Ranger? They can tell you what prop you should be running based off of the hull and motor info. That's what I did.
    No have not.
    i took other plug out going to go lake tomorrow see if that improves my hole shot, if not going prop shopping.
    RANGER BOATS

9. Member
    24P Trophy.

10. Member
    Well I put that plug back in and decided to drill it out to make that plug hole bigger. Seemed to help a little. Once the livewells was full. Would only turn 3200 while planning out. So next run gonna try it with plug all way out. I have had the boat for 7 years now. I guess I just have noticed this or my prop is getting worn out. But it has never jumped out at hole shot. Gonna try it with all the plugs out, and if I don't like it I will order a 24P.
    RANGER BOATS

11. Member
    Also am thinking about adding power poles within a year. So I want to get the boat setup better. I am thinking 24p will be my best bet if adding additional weight of poles.
    RANGER BOATS

12. Member
    You might need a 23" with the poles.

Quote Originally Posted by mdtritn21 View Post
    You might need a 23" with the poles.
    Yep, that's what I was just thinking. You could also try a 23 Trophy. It will carry a load (Power-Poles) better.
    Gitcha Bass On!

2015 ZX225

14. Member
    I have a 25 trophy is you are interested. Thank you

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tomloans View Post
    I have a 25 trophy is you are interested. Thank you
    From the above statements I believe I need a 24p even a 23p if add poles, as I currently have a 25 p prop.
    RANGER BOATS

16. Member
    I have a R93 with a 200 merc, basically same boat just a little longer, I run a 24 raker 2 on mine and it's been the absolute best prop I've owned, I've tried all the merc props and this raker outperforms all of them, no comparison trophy,fury,tempest . You would probably need a 23 if you went that route. My specs are 5900 at 69.4 full load 1 guy 4 batteries full live wells and 47 gallons of gas and a ton of tackle

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jatkins1981 View Post
    I have a R93 with a 200 merc, basically same boat just a little longer, I run a 24 raker 2 on mine and it's been the absolute best prop I've owned, I've tried all the merc props and this raker outperforms all of them, no comparison trophy,fury,tempest . You would probably need a 23 if you went that route. My specs are 5900 at 69.4 full load 1 guy 4 batteries full live wells and 47 gallons of gas and a ton of tackle
    wow!!! My old boat had a raker prop. I am looking for the best prop I am not set on a merc. The guy locally at where I took my trolling. Motor repaired had a bunch of props hanging up. So I will consider. Thanks for your input.
    RANGER BOATS

18. Member
    All right I haven't had my boat out since June (in working on cabin on our farm). Got it out Saturday after a marine put in a new water pump. I asked them to dial in my hotfoot and make sure I am getting WOT. I put a new throttle cable on my self last April. I got it out on the lake After I took out the plug in the prop. She turned 3500 getting on plane and jumped out the best I have seen. The real test will be adding my fishing partner and livewell full. But I think pulling that plug out of prop and my hot foot/ throttle cable has me in good shape. Because it felt like my power/a lot more torque than I had this summer.
    RANGER BOATS

I would add a jackplate for more "tweaking" room

2019 721 ProXs 4S 250
    2B599739

20. Member
    Get a 24 tempest for now and start looking for a 23" prop if you put poles on it. You can sell or trade the 25" for a 24" tempest and you'll be better off than you are now. Like Fraser said a jack plate would help but the 25" prop is too much loaded.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast