Throttle roller/cable adjustments 175 GLECD

Per the sticky, I adjusted the roller on top and took off the throttle cable and had to adjust it a good amount so the throttle roller would touch the linkage arm to carbs. Well, I have an issue now with it staying cranked. I constantly have to push key in until I take off. What have I done wrong? Only reason I did this was a previous post showing the roller was too far from cam.
    1997 STRATOS 285 PE EVINRUDE INTRUDER 175

2. Member
    Another reason I wish that sticky didn't exist. The important thing is that the timing starts to advance and the carbs start to open at the same time. That sync is now off causing the problem. Just adjust the timing roller so this happens. Search my recent posts 6/19/2017 and 5/25/2017 I explain this roller adjustment problem.
    Last edited by 316jughead; 06-21-2017 at 12:08 PM.

3. Member
    Thanks 316jughead!

4. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 316jughead View Post
    Another reason I wish that sticky didn't exist. The important thing is that the timing starts to advance and the carbs start to open at the same time. That sync is now off causing the problem. Just adjust the timing roller so this happens. Search my recent posts 6/19/2017 and 5/25/2017 I explain this roller adjustment problem.
    We can take them all down if you wish. That sticky was put up in agreement with all three (when we had three) Moderators.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChampioNman View Post
    We can take them all down if you wish. That sticky was put up in agreement with all three (when we had three) Moderators.
    I just have an issue with the one. If you have a hot foot and the carb linkage cam is touching the carb roller and the timing roller is not touching the timing cam or has a gap, the timing and carbs will not open at the same time. In this one case then moving the roller to touch will maybe help. In all other cases this is just incorrect info, the problem is that the carbs and timing are not in sync, not that there is a gap between the timing roller and the timing cam. Without a hot foot and all things set correct, there will be a gap, maybe 3/16 to a 1/4 inch between the timing roller and timing cam. Timing and carbs will be in sync, the carbs will still open fully and the throttle stop on the linkage will contact the block. The motor will shift into gear before any throttle is advanced. Moving the roller to touch didn't help drake322 now did it.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 316jughead View Post
    I just have an issue with the one. If you have a hot foot and the carb linkage cam is touching the carb roller and the timing roller is not touching the timing cam or has a gap, the timing and carbs will not open at the same time. In this one case then moving the roller to touch will maybe help. In all other cases this is just incorrect info, the problem is that the carbs and timing are not in sync, not that there is a gap between the timing roller and the timing cam. Without a hot foot and all things set correct, there will be a gap, maybe 3/16 to a 1/4 inch between the timing roller and timing cam. Timing and carbs will be in sync, the carbs will still open fully and the throttle stop on the linkage will contact the block. The motor will shift into gear before any throttle is advanced. Moving the roller to touch didn't help drake322 now did it.
    No, it did not. Gotta go back to ground zero cause I gotta hot foot.

7. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    I'll go back and edit it so it makes more sense, when I do edit it I'll write is slowly because I know some folks don't read fast.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChampioNman View Post
    I'll go back and edit it so it makes more sense, when I do edit it I'll write is slowly because I know some folks don't read fast.
    Thank you. I wonder who Fred is thinking about?