delco voyage question

Does the glass eye indicator really mean anything. Minnkota charger and manual charger says batteries are charged but eye stays red, not green on all three batteries. Batteries only 6 months old.

2. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    It measures specific gravity in one cell. They often stick, and a good shake or tap on the side with your hand will jar them loose.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by munchie View Post
    Does the glass eye indicator really mean anything. Minnkota charger and manual charger says batteries are charged but eye stays red, not green on all three batteries. Batteries only 6 months old.
    Mine were red for 9 years and never gave me a bit of problems. I bought some new ones and they lasted 1 year. I think they changed manufacturers (back in 2008 or 2009) and now they are junk.

4. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by STRETCH1 View Post
    Mine were red for 9 years and never gave me a bit of problems. I bought some new ones and they lasted 1 year. I think they changed manufacturers (back in 2008 or 2009) and now they are junk.
    The ones with the eyes are Exides. Delco has been out of the battery business since 2006.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    The ones with the eyes are Exides. Delco has been out of the battery business since 2006.
    Some of the Delcos are also JCI batteries. You can look at the caps and tell who the mfg is -- most of the time.
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    My old batteries had eyes and were definitely the Delco brand from 2000 and the ones before that were from about 1995 time frame, all them had eyes...

7. Member
    Yes mine have all had eyes also. These batteries are smooth top sealed purchaced at a chevrolet dealership. Delco is all I have ever ran, but may have to rethink that now.

After driving 10 miles to lake and 5 miles by boat they are still red. Does this mean Each has one bad cell. They did go dead last Saturday. (After 8 hours of ruming pretty hard) I think my last set would turn green everyday.

Who makes the best trolling battery (NOT LITHIUM, cant see 1200 each)

8. Member
    I really like the Deka batteries. They are $95 each at Sam's Club under the Duracell name. These are 31size wet batteries. They also have some Duracell AGM batteries that are pretty good as well.