Thread: 198p

Question 198p

What prop are those that have this boat running? It came with a 23p tempest. What would be the gains of going down, or going up in pitch? I have a 21p tempest plus that I thought about trying, just not sure I need to go down in pitch.

2. Member
    How many RPM are you turning the 23 at WOT? Each inch in pitch will change your RPM by approximately 200. If you put the 21 on, expect your RPM to go up about 400.

3. Member
    What motor do you have and what speed and how many rpm's at WOT.

4. Member
    150 Pro XS 5600 rpm at 57 mph(GPS)
    Problem is the current prop seems to slip in turns, as rpm's increase and then feels like the prop grabs when you straighten back up. This concerns me.

5. Member
    Your prop needs some work. Slipping in turns just means you need to trim it down but it's showing some prop slip that a repair can get rid of and it should help you gain 1-2 mph.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mdtritn21 View Post
    Your prop needs some work. Slipping in turns just means you need to trim it down but it's showing some prop slip that a repair can get rid of and it should help you gain 1-2 mph.
    What kind of work? Cup, pitch? I don't know anything about what it needs. Crap, it is almost a new prop. Never hit anything and no nicks of any kind so I assumed I just needed a different prop. As far as slipping in the turns, it is already trimmed down to about half trim and still does it, so I am at a loss on what is happening.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike198P View Post
    What kind of work? Cup, pitch? I don't know anything about what it needs. Crap, it is almost a new prop. Never hit anything and no nicks of any kind so I assumed I just needed a different prop. As far as slipping in the turns, it is already trimmed down to about half trim and still does it, so I am at a loss on what is happening.
    No prop out of the box is perfect. Take 5 of the same new props and run them on your boat and they will all run different. Odds are 1 will run real good, 1 will run piss poor, and 3 will run so-so. All of them can be improved upon by balancing and blueprinting, which brings each blade in to the exact same spec, shape, rake, cup and pitch progression. "Working" a prop is tweaking one or more of those features to enhance performance for a given application.

Send your prop to mark, give him your set up and numbers and tell him how it drives. When you get it back, the difference will amaze you.

8. Member
    How do you know it's almost new? It could have some cup worn off, rough edges or be slightly bent. Doesn't take much. All the work you need is to repair it to factory spec, nothing else.

9. Member
    [QUOTE=mdtritn21;8518865]How do you know it's almost new? It could have some cup worn off, rough edges or be slightly bent. Doesn't take much. All the work you need is to repair it to factory spec, nothing else.[/QUOTE
    NIB when I bought my boat.