Thread: Pantera Classic

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Member
    A trailer upgrade and a few other things and it will be more than a P2.

New classic looks awesome. FWIW, if I was buying new right now and the choice was between the new Classic or the PII, I would take a loaded Classic. Keep in mind I havent seen the Classic in person yet though, but the new layout, little extra length, extra under seat storage, beam forward/ slightly wider front deck, and large bilge access are all improvements over my PII imo.

I think the Classic is a homerun for BCB and guys that are looking for the perfect mid/full-size boat that easily fits thru their normal garage door.
    2021 Phoenix 920 Elite / SHO 250
    Bullet 21XD / 250 XB (Gone to a great home in LA)
    "There is no such thing as a bad day fishing!"

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bass Cat Boats View Post
    Let's look at some topics that make a difference. The boat is an all new design, new molds, ammoritized investment at the present levels, slightly longer hull, slightly narrower build, similar fuel capacity.

The trailer may be a 3" frame std., though it is still welded and a tandem.

The build design does save in labor in several areas, though labor is a small portion of the overall net cost of build. The actual materials parts list is significantly more than the direct labor and indirect labor.

Engines, trolling motors, graphs and most items cost the same no matter the model. Smaller boats have a significant (major) percentage of costs in those components.

Wile expectations are that the buyer would save ten thousand on this model those actual savings are a few thousand dollars. The amount varies based on your trailer decision, from around $3,000 to $4,500, or even $5000 depending on your choices.
    This is a very reasonable explanation. I think the expectations were set based on the hype and marketing before the boat was released. Instead of being excited about a new model with a set of features that appealed to a certain segment like the Lynx there was a lot of focus on it being a Margay type, lower cost model that would get a lot of people into the boat that couldn't get into a "normal" boat like this. The truth is that if you can afford a Classic you can afford a PII which is perceived as being a higher end boat. It creates an internal struggle when you see one as a value boat and one as a higher end in the same price range. I can't speak for everyone else who expressed disappointment but that's how it felt to me. I still think it's a great looking boat.

4. Member
    Got to see this boat in person Wednesday and it's really a nice rig. The layout, storage, nice wide console, love the engine compartment layout, etc. This boat is priced well for what you would be getting so quit knocking the price. It has 2 Helix G2 graphs, DI bow, SI console that are linked together, a 200hp instead of a 150hp, grab post on the trailer, hot foot, blinker trim.. This boat has just about everything expect poles. It's longer and wider then the P2. Super nice rig and I think it'll be a big hit for BassCat. The only thing I don't like about it is you can only get the top cap in white on all models. Other then that, BassCat has a winner here. And nothing compares to the quality of a cat.

5. Member
    db220.............well said, what you said speaks for me also. Well articulated.

So being that the Classic utilizes a lesser quality resin than the P2 I wonder what the upgrade cost would be to get the higher end resin on the classic hull. That would essentially make the Classic equal to the P2 in the quality of build but give you the new model features that come along with the Classic. I would suspect that would put the classic at the same price point as the P2 thereby making it "a new model", as the above post mentions, without the need for labeling the Classic as a budget boat.

7. Member
    I think the hype was around recent college grads looking to get into tournament fishing and retirees who don't nee a boat to do 75 miles per hour to enjoy the occassional tournament or weekend derby. I bet if you put this thing on a 3 inch single axle trailer with brakes and put two helix 7's and a 150hp proxs you are 38k range which is a hell of a lot of boat considering the brand and size. I don't they they meant to build this one to be loaded up the way a p2 is loaded up.

Just my 02.

8. Member
    OK guys that are disappointed in the price. Look at it more logically. You're comparing apples to apples with the Classic and P2. The 200hp/same graphs/same trolling motor/same "accessories" will all be the same price no matter which boat you're putting it on. The trailer is a 3" instead of 4", but still has the tandem axle, grab poles, bunks and rollers. Money being save on the 3" vs 4" tubing, all else seems the same. Now let go to the boat. Labor the same to build a 19' boat. Seats/carpet/hinges/etc. all should be the same. Looking at it this way, where did you expect Basscat to cut $8 to $10K off the price of the rig. Now, rig the boat as it was intended (entry level graphs, basic resins, 150hp, basic trolling motor (Nitro puts a MK Edge on their boats and lets you "upgrade" to the Maxxum/Fortrex/Ultrex) and the price comparison should show the drop you were expecting. Thing is, none of us on these boards want, or is satisfied, a boat basically rigged. We want the fully rigged boat at the basic rigged price, which can't happen. My .02
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

9. Indiana Bass Club Moderator billius's Avatar
    John makes some good points. Pretty much sums it up. The first thing everyone, including me, asks when shopping for a new Cat, is how much if I add this and add that? Those electronics, power poles and other items add up quickly. I know this example isn't a Pantera Classic, but last year, Sherm had a CougarFTD on his showroom floor which had $11,000+ worth of electronics and poles.
    Bill Gard
    Richmond, Indiana
    2015 BassCat Caracal/225ProXs
    TEAM SHERM'S MARINE
    Of course I talk to myself...sometimes I need expert advice.

The Pantera Classic does not use a lesser quality resin than a Pantera II model. The Premium line up is the VE resin and both the Vision and Advantage series models have the same Iso blend.

It is a fact that most who can afford a Pantera Classic will be able to stretch to a Pantera II. The Pantera Classic that was marketed before was a similar stretch of just a few thousand dollars. If Mercury made a new 200 budget engine that changed the cowling or required only a new propeller made for it, and saved $2,000, then whether or not it suited your needs is your decision.

BCB made a choice to design and build the boat to reduce costs, in the new floor plan, as a Vision group model. The white interior is in the process as white in the molding to keep storage boxes white and simplify construction. The 3" frame with 14" tires is to reduce towing weight by around 300 pounds and offer a more stable towing platform over a single axle.

If you prefer a Pantera II, then we continue to build them and we would be proud to build one for you.

BCB
    Last edited by Bass Cat Boats; 06-24-2017 at 07:06 AM.

11. Member
    The PII comes with the options on cap colors other than white. Upgraded seats.
    I'm not saying that the boat isn't worth the price, but I did expect it to be somewhat cheaper than the PII.
    I believe it will come down to deck layout and width rather than price when deciding between the Classic and PII.
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs

Quote Originally Posted by Jonestrollingmotor View Post
    OK guys that are disappointed in the price. Look at it more logically. You're comparing apples to apples with the Classic and P2. The 200hp/same graphs/same trolling motor/same "accessories" will all be the same price no matter which boat you're putting it on. The trailer is a 3" instead of 4", but still has the tandem axle, grab poles, bunks and rollers. Money being save on the 3" vs 4" tubing, all else seems the same. Now let go to the boat. Labor the same to build a 19' boat. Seats/carpet/hinges/etc. all should be the same. Looking at it this way, where did you expect Basscat to cut $8 to $10K off the price of the rig. Now, rig the boat as it was intended (entry level graphs, basic resins, 150hp, basic trolling motor (Nitro puts a MK Edge on their boats and lets you "upgrade" to the Maxxum/Fortrex/Ultrex) and the price comparison should show the drop you were expecting. Thing is, none of us on these boards want, or is satisfied, a boat basically rigged. We want the fully rigged boat at the basic rigged price, which can't happen. My .02

Well said!
    Bass Cat Caracal STS / Mercury 300 ProXS
    Jayco Northpoint 377 RLBH
    GMC Denali Ultimate DRW
    #ChargeOn #HereWeGo

13. Member
    BCB, is there an option to upgrade cap colors and seats ? That would seal the deal for me ....

Quote Originally Posted by Mike56 View Post
    BCB, is there an option to upgrade cap colors and seats ? That would seal the deal for me ....
    I've been looking at this boat too. I don't know about the seats but I do know you can only get the white top.

15. Member
    BCB ? Can one upgrade top cap colors or seats ? Thank you.

So what kind of numbers performance wise does BCB see with a 150 or 175 motor?
    Lee Harville - North Augusta, SC
    Boat Sold, looking for first cat -
    classic, P2, or Caracal

17. Member
    I don't view the Classic as less expensive model Pantera, I view it as a different model Pantera. I crappie fish 70% of the time (spider rigging) occasionally with another person the rest of the time I'm bass fishing, so width up front was the primary factor, length was the second factor because I fish Ky. Lake approx. 20-25 days a year (the closer to 20ft the better), speed was third. Boat storage wasn't a factor for me as I keep mine covered under a carport. By the time I got done adding my options (200hp SHO, tandem trailer, Ultrex, resin up grade, stainless latches, blinker trim etc) I was within spitting distance of a PII.

Budget wise I can afford a PII or Classic, for that matter I could get Lynx if I wanted but living around the small waters of So Ohio I don't need that much boat. The Classic fit my needs best, wider at the pedestal, a little longer, not quite as fast as a PII, but hopefully the Classic will only be slightly slower than a PII maybe 5mph we'll see.
    Last edited by ChrisS22; 06-28-2017 at 02:56 PM.

18. Member

White Cap

I may be in the minority, but I like a white cap. My 2002 and 2012 had white caps, and my next one will too. When it's clean it gleams, and it's not that hard to keep clean. Gotta have a contrasting color console though, and fenders.
    Last edited by sparkertx3; 06-28-2017 at 03:23 PM. Reason: Making the smiley work

19. Member
    My current classic has a white cap. Does not get skin-scorching hot in the summer. Does not show imperfections/scratches/etc. My previous boat had black/silver interior. Created its own version of hell in the middle of the summer. No wind, seemed like air temp was 10 degrees hotter than advertised, and do NOT touch the 'glass parts.
    2008 Bass Cat Pantera Classic
    2014 Mercury Pro XS 200

20. Member
    I had an older model classic (04) with a single axle trailer and it pulled fine for the three years I owned it.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast