Minn Kota 4 bank charger: red/green lights on one bank

Hello,
    I have a MK 440 4 bank charger, guessing about 9-10 years old.
    Has always worked flawlessly but this year at first start I am having an issue.
    I have three brand new group 27 D/C trolling motor batteries and a 1 year old cranking/accessory battery. One of the banks, when plugged for charging, will show a red and green light lit simultaneously. If I unplug and replug however, the yellow charging light comes on and remains on for perhaps 20-30 mins before it turns to red/green. This particular bank is hooked up to one of my brand new T/M batteries. All 4 batteries tested and are fine. I have read the post on indicator light readout, I have taken all fuse holders apart and cleaned and applied dielectric grease and changed all fuses; fuse holder was getting hot on the problem bank as well, which would indicate resistance. If I charge this battery, with another car battery charger for example and correct settings, battery will charge just fine.
    Thanks for any insight.
    2000 VIPER COBRA 201D /225 Merc EFI SER: 0T054298
    Where does the white go when the snow melts?

2. Member
    Well, check the voltage before and during charging. If it is closely similar to the other T/M batteries, I'd suspect your charger is aging and the monitoring circuit has changed value. From then on out, it's up to you whether to replace it or use as is. You could easily swap batteries charger leads too.

3. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Swap the problem bank charger leads to another battery and see if the problem moves. Dielectric grease on battery connections is a bad idea. It is an insulator.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

4. Member
    I agree on swapping the banks for a re-test.

Corrosion is the only thing I can think that would cause enough resistance to heat up a fuse holder. That stuff is hard to clean off well. Id replace the holder - preferably with a blade type and not a glass type. While you're at it, look at the wire and be sure you dont have any "black wire" stuff going on.

The dialectric grease should be fine as long as there is a good/tight mechanical connection. The marine guys use it all the time. A bad spring, black wire or corrosion will be a much bigger issue.
    Smokercraft Phantom 202 Yamaha F115/Merc 9.9
    Garmin 7610xsv/GT51M-TM/Panoptix PS21/LiveScope
    Why am I hanging out here when I could be fishing.....

Thanks guys, I have ordered new fuse holders, blade type, and yes there was quite a bit of corrosion on all my connections. Maybe I didn't get enough of it off.
    We'll see once I change out the holders.
    Thanks!

And now, after being plugged in all day, all lights are green, in spite of the red and green lights on that one bank being on at the same time this morning.??
    well at least batteries are charged