Buying from local BPS vs Dealers far away

Sorry guys another question to ask your opinions. I have a bass pro near me and it's the only Nitro dealer in my area. Next closest is over 300 miles, another BPS. My experience w bass pro isn't that great because majority of the employees have not a single clue on their very own product. I purchased a tracker that had issues and had to bring it in multiple times until finally fixed (leak). Inconvenient to say the very least but better than driving hundreds of miles away..

Then as I have been reading these forums two places people have positive feedback are D and R and Pro's Choice as they deliver as well. The thing I am hesitant about is what if I have issues like a leak, hull etc will BPS be willing to help w those issues? I am over thousand miles from those two dealers i just mentioned . I know when buying from the dealer you usually go to them for problems. Also checking to make sure EVERYTHING you ordered is in the boat before delivery is hard to do from a phone and email and it's a large purchase. I've heard u can save serious $ with pros choice because of the upgrades. Another worry is once you have paid and youre so far away not much incentive left to fix issues.
    I've read horror stories of people's hooked hulls, transom issues and those I would think are hard to fix if didn't buy from BPS although can be done?

Any opinions greatly appreciated guys. Thanks
    Last edited by BigBadBass; 06-20-2017 at 05:45 AM.

2. Member
    If it were me, I would make the drive to Pro's Choice or the next close independent dealer out there. The BPS near you will still take care of you just as any other dealer would that you bought it from as far as maintenance and warranty issues. Only difference would be the level of customer service. I don't care that much for the "no haggle, no hassle" mindset that BPS goes with. The independent dealers have more to lose in the game because they are not a big box retailer (like BPS) and are trying to build a good, solid reputation for customers.

3. Member
    Yes sir..right about that...but it's a good 2 day drive!

4. Member
    There is good and bad no matter which way you go. If you are ordering a boat, it would be to your benefit to sit down and list everything you want on your rig. Then check to see what kind of deal you will be getting from independents and your local BPS. If you can save a bunch of money then buy from the independent. You will be getting the same product no matter where you buy it.

I bought from an independent last year because I just happened to stop by for a look and my wife who cares very little about boats fell in love with one on the show room floor. I have found this place to be less than satisfactory for service so I am using my local BPS for service. They are competent and very customer oriented unlike the selling dealer.

So my advice is go where the money takes you. BTW where are you located?

5. Banned
    They're not the only brand on the retail market.

And a 2 day drive for service would be considered unreasonable. There are times when buying closer to home is just better.

Unfortunately, not every brand of boat is well represented in every market in the U.S.

6. Member
    I had a great boat buying experience at my local BPS (Leeds, AL)...I feel like they went over and above for me. Swapped the MK Fortrex that came standard with my 2017 Z20 pro package for the Ultrex ipilot 112/45 while giving me full credit for the Fortrex and not charging me a dime for the takeoff/install. They also installed a second Power Pole for 50% off the install price and installed retractable trailer tie downs ($85 a piece) for nothing. I 'm very happy. Now I'll stand by while everyone else bombs on Bass Pro!

7. Member
    BigBadBass, where are you located? I have an independent dealer 30 minutes from me in Southeast Texas.

Any dealer can have good quick service or slow mediocre service. It is hard to be sure on that especially with little knowledge of their history. Obviously, the best thing to do is ask up front how does your service dept. operate? Appointment, 1st come 1st serve, priority of a buyer from them over an outside buyer, etc. Ask, they will normally tell the truth.....
    On the other hand, getting the best boat deal is important too. You just have to weigh them both out...
    Good luck.
    Layton Strong
    Nitro State Team

9. Member
    Thanks for the info guys. I am currently living in Seligman ...small town in arizona but travel to So. cali as my family is out there. Yeah the BPS in AZ would only offer $100 for crediting the stock trolling motor on the z21 and $100 for the elite ti...so the bps service you got was great!

Between my trade and the price, a saved a TON of money going to Pro's Choice. The trade alone was a 4K swing. Of course, I do have to wait in line for service. Good thing it's never been in for "Nitro" service and we have a bunch of highly qualified Merc dealers nearby. ZERO regrets!!!
    Jimmy Young

2021 Nitro Z19
    Mercury 200 ProXS
    Atlas 10" Hydraulic Jackplate
    Humminbird HELIX 12 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    Humminbird
    HELIX 8 CHIRP MEGA SI GPS G3N
    Humminbird HELIX 12
    CHIRP MEGA DI+ GPS G4N at bow
    Humminbird HELIX 8 CHIRP MEGA DI GPS G3N CHO at bow
    Humminbird MEGA 360
    Minn Kota Ultrex i-Pilot Link
    Dual Power Pole Blades

11. Member
    Since you travel to SoCal, swing by Anglers Marine in Anaheim... couple of my friends have purchased from them, as well as myself...

12. Member
    Yeah I might check them out..thanks for the input.

13. Member
    Oh yeah.. dopey me... There's also an Anglers Marine in San Diego... If you don't go that far North in Socal

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OdingyNBugs View Post
    Since you travel to SoCal, swing by Anglers Marine in Anaheim... couple of my friends have purchased from them, as well as myself...
    They are one of the best around the SoCal area and very knowledgeable.
    Wes
    Helix 10 MSI+,MDI+,Ultrex IPilot
    2023 Phoenix 818
    Never assume there's a tomorrow

If I were you id think about buying another brand if dealers are that scares in your area. In the unfortunate event that you should need work done it would be a PIA.

Unless of course you just had to have that brand.

Triton 19 XS Elite, 225 Mercury Pro XS, Minn Kota Ultrex 112, Hydrowave H2, Twin 8' Power Pole Blades, Power Pole CHARGE, Lowrance HDS 12 and 16 at console, Lowrance HDS 9, Garmin LiveScope at bow, Mercmonitor, Rigid Industries Deck lights and other stuff to come that will make me go more broke

Quote Originally Posted by BigBadBass View Post
    Thanks for the info guys. I am currently living in Seligman ...small town in arizona but travel to So. cali as my family is out there. Yeah the BPS in AZ would only offer $100 for crediting the stock trolling motor on the z21 and $100 for the elite ti...so the bps service you got was great!
    They only wanted to give you $100 for a $1000 trolling motor. Yeah, I would not be buying from them and I hope you laughed at him while you walked away.

As far as taking delivery on an unseen boat, you know what the Nitro looks like and its new so not as if you need to study it to make sure it will work for you. As far as options, once the deal is made over the phone write up the list of options and what they will be doing and send it to the salesperson your working with. Honestly, if they are good at their job they should do that anyway. Let them know you'll be reviewing that list when the boat arrives and that you will refuse delivery if it is not correct. I would not be to worried about this aspect of the deal.

But, like others have said, do you have any other brands available in the area?
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

17. Member
    I think have to pay before delivery so not much leverage. As far as brand, just as many options as Nitro but for bang for buck Nitro seems to be it for me. Trust me, I like the other brands...esp ranger with a g2 ..but that's so much

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OdingyNBugs View Post
    That's where I bought my Nitro - awesome people, awesome service + very knowledgeable in bass fishing.