Question about charging system

I'm very new to boating although I had my 89 Champion for 4 years I've basically completely ignored it until this year (Mostly due to 2 little guys that are 4 and 5 now and ready to get into fishing now).

That said I just want to make sure I'm understanding this right. I have 3 batteries, I understand 2 are for electronics and one solely for engine starting. When the motor is running its supposed to charge all 3 batteries? Or does it only charge the starting battery?

I guess I should be able to answer my own question by testing while its running but I'm more interested in how it is "supposed" to be than how mine is. So I can fix it if it's wrong. I ask because today it seemed like my trolling motor was weaker than the last few days but I could be imagining. Been out on the boat more in the last week than the last 4 years. Time to enjoy it. Thanks.

1st a and Welcome to the BBC Gang,
    Starting Battery is for the start and run of Motor and Electronics.. 2 Dedicated for Trolling Motor Battery's Only. All other add on's, go to Start Battery. Then when get too much added on, of course Start Battery can do so much only. Just remember the Start Battery is also used for the Live well , running lights ( night).

3. Member
    The engine should only charge the starting battery. You will need to charge up the trolling batteries separately.

Great well that explains that. Ok thanks guys. That kind of sucks. It was much easier the way I thought/hoped it would work.

5. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 89Champ View Post
    Great well that explains that. Ok thanks guys. That kind of sucks. It was much easier the way I thought/hoped it would work.
    Enjoy those boys. Mine was 4 last week and he's 24 and living in Boston this week. It goes fast. Really, really fast!
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

And you should charge the starting battery after every outing also, the charging system on the motor will not fully charge the battery unless your making long runs.

7. Member
    If you get a 3 bank on board charger it'll make it real easy. Just plug it in and walk away.

I second. Buy a Minn Kota 3 bank charger and charge all three batteries at the same time. It will tend them and keep them conditioned when not in use extending the life of your batteries and they'll always be ready when you are.

Jim
    Jim
    1991 17 ft Ragin Cajun
    150 Evinrude Intruder

Those 3 bank chargers are a little pricy. I'll look into them though. hopefully they are a little more reliable then battery tender brand. Those only seem to last a year or two.

10. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 89Champ View Post
    Those 3 bank chargers are a little pricy. I'll look into them though. hopefully they are a little more reliable then battery tender brand. Those only seem to last a year or two.
    They will usually save you money in longer battery life.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

11. Member
    I picked up a minnkota 315d 3 bank yesterday for $150 new on ebay. Bought my last 3 chargers new from ebay for great prices. Add a adapter plug for it if needed and you can just plug an extension cord right into a socket in your boat. Done, and ready for next use. So for $150 its soooo much easier in the long run. Trust me.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bass AHolic View Post
    1st a and Welcome to the BBC Gang,
    Starting Battery is for the start and run of Motor and Electronics.. 2 Dedicated for Trolling Motor Battery's Only. All other add on's, go to Start Battery. Then when get too much added on, of course Start Battery can do so much only. Just remember the Start Battery is also used for the Live well , running lights ( night).
    Thanks for the help that explains a question I had!

13. Member
    If money is tight. By a two bank on board for the boat. And a portable for the garage. My TM batteries get plugged in after I return. I top off the starting but will use that charger for other things, ie cars, lawnmower. I have dual pro recreation 2 bank little over $100 and a Walmart marine for around $50.
    William "Bill" Kyte
    Waldorf, MD
    2018 Shenadoah Kerr lake BFL Co-angler Champion

2020 Ranger 520L Evinrude G2 250HO

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    They will usually save you money in longer battery life.
    All on board chargers are pricey but worth it. Get what you need to charge the starting battery and then the trolling motor batteries.

There are a few "as you run" chargers that will charge both starting battery and trolling batteries when the big motor is running. I have a Merc 225 and a MinnKota 80 (24 volts) and I installed a TrollBridge Charging system. It charges all three batteries when running and borrows from the trolling batteries if the start battery get low from electronics, pumps, etc. Pretty cool set-up and very reliable !! Depends on what your set up is as to what parts you need.

http://www.yandina.com/troll24info.htm
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents