Should top cap screws on a 2015 already be backing out?

I was wiping my boat down the other night after getting back from the lake. I was going down the run rail and realized I had several bulges in it. This is my fourth bass boat and new what it was. I've had the boat almost a year and have used it a lot. Isn't it kinda soon for this to be happening? My other boats were a 1999, 2003, and 2007 so I expected it out of them, plus they were used. The boat is a 2015 Z119C, any and all input appreciated.

2. Member
    That is not all that unusual.
    2018 Z521L 250 PRO XS V8

3. Member
    I would be taking it back to the Dealer .

4. mikesxpress
    They always back out. Pull the rub rail, tighten, top with silicone. Some things never change.

Welcome to the club. It seems like every 2 to 3 years I'm pulling the rubrail and tightening and and silicone to mine. Get used to it and you'll be a pro at it after a few times
    2000 520vx Ranger
    250 PRO XS
    SERIAL#2B115788/ 25P Fury 4/ 25P Fury 3 blade

6. Banned
    What is the best way to pull the rub rail?

I normally work one end out on the rear corner with a screwdriver then pull it straight back and when reinstalling I use a little Dawn dish soap applied to the rubrail and channel. easy as easy
    2000 520vx Ranger
    250 PRO XS
    SERIAL#2B115788/ 25P Fury 4/ 25P Fury 3 blade

How hard to do the whole rubrail bracket and insert? My rub rail takes a beating on docks and bulk heads.

Quote Originally Posted by sabby View Post
    What is the best way to pull the rub rail?
    I don't know if the method i use is the best, but it works. I take a small flat head screwdriver and work the rub rail out of the channel 6 inches at a time, use a cordless driver to tighten screws and replace the rub rail back into the channel with love taps from a rubber mallet.
    ‘22 Ranger Z520R - Mercury 250 Pro XS
    Humminbird/Minn Kota One Boat Network

10. Member
    Look fellas I know how to do it, done it many many times on all my champions. I just thought it was a little premature on a boat that I've had for less than a year (bought as a leftover) and that only has 62 hours on the outboard. Especially when these boats cost what they do. If it's a common deal I'll live with. By the way, a small flat blade screw driver and a can of silicone gets the job done extremely fast. I'll pry out around 2 feet at one time and then move down the boat. If you pull the entire rub rail you always end up with more rub rail than track.

11. Member
    Yep common problem. Did all my screws with 5200.2 years and none have backed out.

12. Member
    I got a 2000 Ranger 520 that I bought new and never had a screw back out on the rub rail. I would be discussing with Ranger or your dealer.

13. Banned
    I have a 2014 119c and no problems with the rub rail besides dock rash. I would take that baby back to the dealer.

14. Member
    I would think your dealer would warranty the repair but probably just as easy to fix yourself.

To the other post the problem with replacing the entire rub rail multiple times is your boat will end up as swiss cheese. I would keep the original in place for as long as possible.

15. Member
    Interesting that this is such a problem on the newer boats.

I'm not sure what we did to our '84 ranger, but, I haven't had this issue in 25+ years on the '84.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnus View Post

I'm not sure what we did to our '84 ranger, but, I haven't had this issue in 25+ years on the '84.
    I agree! I beat my 1991 361-V that I bought new like a redheaded step child on Erie for 11 years and never had a rub rail screw back out. My 2006 Z20 was another story!
    2006 Ranger Z20 / 225HP Merc Pro XS

17. Banned
    Tip. If you remove the entire rub rail make it easier on yourself when putting it back on. Put the rub rail coiled up in a trash can, throw a little under desk heater in there and cover it. Let it get good and warm. Then feed it out of the can as you put it back on the boat. Makes it nice and pliable, easy to reattach.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Skippy909 View Post
    I was wiping my boat down the other night after getting back from the lake. I was going down the run rail and realized I had several bulges in it. This is my fourth bass boat and new what it was. I've had the boat almost a year and have used it a lot. Isn't it kinda soon for this to be happening? My other boats were a 1999, 2003, and 2007 so I expected it out of them, plus they were used. The boat is a 2015 Z119C, any and all input appreciated.
    No problems with 2006 Z-21 ever backing out.
    <*)\\\|><)
    If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there would be a shortage of fishing poles

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnus View Post

Ya not. My 02,04 and 05 did the same thing. My 05 I pulled rub rail apart every 2-3 years just to tighten screws. I should have put 5200 on them as others have mentioned. If that happens to my 17 520c I will use the 5200 and hope to be done with it.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dean c View Post
    How hard to do the whole rubrail bracket and insert? My rub rail takes a beating on docks and bulk heads.
    Not to bad, we use a hair dryer if its cool with a rubber mallet to put it back on with, best done when its warm outside though. Not uncommon at all for screws to back out especially in the rough water lakes.
    Last edited by CaymasRodney; 06-25-2017 at 07:06 AM.