First hydraulic jack plate

I'll be picking up my 3rd Phoenix this week (2010 719, 2013 920, 2018 921). This is the first time I'll be running a hydraulic jack plate (Atlas). I just read a post where somebody forgot to lower or raise their plate and messed up their outboard rigging tube. Any words of wisdom/tips/tricks with being a first time hydraulic jack plate user/owner? What position should it be in while towing?

2. BBC SPONSOR / PHOENIX MOD DREWTICK's Avatar
    Atlas recommends always towing in the lowest position
    Drewcraft Specializes in Lithium Batteries and Chargers, We carry all Brands of Trolling Motors and Graphs, Minnkota, Lowrance, Garmin, Motorguide
    910-722-0001 call or text
    info@drewcraft.com

You need to remember to never til the trim all the way up when the plate is all the way down or close to it. That is how the rigging tube will break. If the plate is atleast 3" out of the 6" high then the tube will be fine.

2023 Ford F150 XLT Super Crew 2.7L Ecoboost FX4
    2021 Phoenix 721/ Mercury 250 ProXS 4s
    HDS16 Pro- Solix15 : Console
    HDS16 Pro W/AT - Garmin 126 W/ lvs34 - Solix12/ 360 : Bow
    Dual 10' Blades/ Lowrance Ghost/ Bobs Hydraulic Plate
    225ah cranking / 100ah trolling. Ionic/Relion lithium

MLF Invitationals Angler
    Instagram @brettcarnright

4. Scraps
    Just check it out when you get your motor support. You can crush the rigging tube on the top of your transom if you trim up too high and lower the jp. I put my MotorMate on the second hole down on motor support frame and never have an issue. You'll know it if you don't have the jp all the way down when trailering, she'll bounce a little more.

PS You won't have another boat without the jp.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

5. Member
    Thank you!

6. The Kairos Lures Guy Fidgetcranker's Avatar
    Nothing like that with a Bob's Action Jack. You can always change your mind. Bob's also has color choices to match boat and/or power poles.

7. Member
    Broke my rigging hose, needs replaced now... Anyone know a good place to get one.. Maybe just change to the zippered fabric style

8. Member
    If you can get the Bobs you will be happy you did.

9. Member
    Too late for me. Fidgetcranker.... What's the difference in that one would crack a rigging tube and the Bobs wouldn't? They both move the jack plate up and down and if either model is down all the way and you trim up your saying the bobs wouldn't crack the rigging tube?

10. The Kairos Lures Guy Fidgetcranker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by laposta28 View Post
    Too late for me. Fidgetcranker.... What's the difference in that one would crack a rigging tube and the Bobs wouldn't? They both move the jack plate up and down and if either model is down all the way and you trim up your saying the bobs wouldn't crack the rigging tube?
    I don't know the actual difference, because I've only owned a Bob's. Maybe it's at a slightly different angle or something. I was actually wondering the same thing as I wrote the last post, cuz it never dawned on me to look for that. I have a bad habit of speaking too soon and I should have checked first before I said anything, sorry for that. I just had carpal tunnel surgery on both hands at same time, so I won't be taking the boat out for a few weeks. I can check this out in the driveway for you.
    I seldom put my plate lower than I actually run on take-off. Even when I tow/travel, I keep my plate at where I take off on a run which is on #2. Plus I also raised motor 1 hole to run plate lower for less stress on it.
    No one ever mentioned towing at lowest position to me. I watch it close when driving all the time, and never have seen any bouncing of any kind. Seems rock solid to me when I drive.
    Not saying Bob's is better than an Atlas, both are near equal in performance and quality...just different. I only know I haven't had that problem, or ever worried about it. I am going to check this out tho, and I'm glad you brought this to my attention. Thanks for that.
    I will check later today and let you know.

11. Member
    Thanks fidget! Yea I was just asking bc I truly don't know. This is my first one coming.

12. Member
    I have my first hydro on this boat and have enjoyed it. Not sure I have learned to take full advantage of it. I found the sweet spot and just move it up to 15 and roll. Don't toy with it much since I found all of that.
    Matthew 6:33
    2020 921elite

13. Smallmouth Junkie!
    What is the price difference between the two? Has anyone had both?
    2012 Phoenix 721 pro xp / 250hp SHO
    2003 Skeeter TZX-190 / 150hp OX66

14. The Kairos Lures Guy Fidgetcranker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by laposta28 View Post
    Thanks fidget! Yea I was just asking bc I truly don't know. This is my first one coming.
    Can't check it out for you today like I thought, but I will soon as I can.

15. The Kairos Lures Guy Fidgetcranker's Avatar

Here's some pics of motor...
    #1- This is how I tow. You can see the Plate is up like 2".
    #2- Here it is with Plate all the way down and trimmed up to max.
    #3- Close up of Rigging tube in maxed position.

I forgot to mention that I have a sho, and that may make a difference.
    Also the top of the Bob's jp may sit lower, or have openings in it in different places.
    Even tho my rigging tube does not break in this position, I don't usually max it to there, as you can see it is stressed.
    Pic#1 is how I travel with it, and trim it up all the way.
    Attached Images Attached Images

16. Member
    Thanks!!!