Out of Balance Props

I posted awhile back about my Tempest Plus being wobbly when spun by hand on my lower unit, turns out the darn prop is not round at the back. This "out of round" causes the prop to look like its wobbling when it is spinning. After some web "research" it turns out that this casting problem is not rare with outboard props (shame on the quality control inspectors) so my question to the prop guys on here is....Will I damage anything by using my wobbly prop? I can't feel it vibrating when the motor is running and until I spun the prop by hand I had no idea there was an issue.
    2005 Nitro NX 882
    2002 Mercury 175 EFI

2. Member
    No.

3. Member
    There is a difference of being out of balance or out of round. Quite a few props are out of round but most are balanced. CJ
    2002 X19 200HP OX66 HO Vmax,HPDI lower, it lives, thanks Hydro Tec.

4. Member
    If you can feel it vibrating through the steering at certain rpms . Then I would have it balanced . Your lower unit parts and seals will last longer . .

normal
    2021 Phoenix 920 Elite / SHO 250
    Bullet 21XD / 250 XB (Gone to a great home in LA)
    "There is no such thing as a bad day fishing!"

6. BBC SPONSOR
    All of mercury propellers are out of balance out of the box and most prop shop don't balance I'm not trying to start anything but I get props in my shop that were balanced and blueprinted the balance is not even close so be careful on who you have work on your propellers.

7. Member
    Send it to mark. He is the man! Turned one around for me this week. Great service and speedy work. If you are concerned send it out on a monday when you arent using it and hope it will be back soon enough for the weekend. For the cost to have it worked its a lot better than buying new. And then you KNOW its gonna be ok to run. Thanks again mark! (j.o. in ill)