Trailering Bracket / Transon Saver

Can anyone recommend the best type of trailering bracket / transom saved for a Triton TRX18 with a 200 Opti please

2. Member
    Motor mate

3. Member
    Largemouth Lou's motor toter.

4. Member
    I also have a 2016 18TRX with a 200 Opti and I purchased a Motor mate #203 and I love it very sturdy!

I've had a look at both of the suggestions online and have used a similar product to the motor mate. What I don't understand is how themotormate is a transom support when it fits between the motor clamps and engine mounts, really a tilt and trim saver. Now the Lou's motor toter looks to support the transom by running from the trailer to the engine mounts however, that appears to transfer road and trailer shock directly into the engine as the trailer moves independent to the boat.
    Would love to hear from the manufactures of these or the boats with their opinion

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by thommo59 View Post
    I've had a look at both of the suggestions online and have used a similar product to the motor mate. What I don't understand is how themotormate is a transom support when it fits between the motor clamps and engine mounts, really a tilt and trim saver. Now the Lou's motor toter looks to support the transom by running from the trailer to the engine mounts however, that appears to transfer road and trailer shock directly into the engine as the trailer moves independent to the boat.
    Would love to hear from the manufactures of these or the boats with their opinion
    I agree with this. I just had some gel coat repair work done. I was using the motor mate.

7. Member
    I can't see how the Motor mate can help the transom either but it will keep the motor straight which helps the hydraulic steering.

Looking at those 2 designs I'm wondering if there is a place for "deluxe" model that essentially would be Lou's type but with a spring in the shaft so its telescopic with some give to make it less rigid

9. Member
    Spring would have to be huge to do any good. The boat doesn't move on the trailer, so it's not an issue.

10. Member
    I was told that if you use a Motormate it will void the warranty on the transom bracket on the motor and a very expensive repair. It sometimes breaks the bracket around the holes. Not sure if true, just what a (marine)dealer told me.. I'm not bashing motormate, just relaying what I was told.

Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    Spring would have to be huge to do any good. The boat doesn't move on the trailer, so it's not an issue.
    It would definitely require a strong spring or flex area. If you ever get the chance, put a go pro camera on your trailer or boat and watch how much the trailer moves compared to the boat, you'll be surprised. The trailer flexes and vibrates under the boat and this is why a quality trailer is critical

12. Member
    Distance from the rear trailer cross member to the lower unit never changes on my trailer. I accidentally never lowered the motor enough to fully cover the nuts on Lou's motor totor, and drove 90 miles without having it fall completely off.

13. Member
    This is what was shipped with my new 189 TrX. I added the transom saver as an option when ordering... the Guardian Motor Support. It's solid. I like it a lot. The motor doesn't turn and it's well supported when trailering. I had one on my Stratos 295 for 25 years with no issues. You can see it mounted in the attached image...

http://bit.ly/2rZ4YPD

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by OwascoAngler; 06-22-2017 at 07:52 AM. Reason: Added image

Thankyou, good info and looks like what Triton reccomend

15. Member
    Yes I use a Motormate , cuz my Lowrance SI transducer is mounted under my JP.. Love it and works great

Attached Images Attached Images

Mercury Pro Team

2017 Triton 20 TRX Patriot
    250 Opti Max Pro XS
    Twin 8' Power Pole Blades
    2 Solix 12 gen 3 , with mega 360

16. Member
    Murph44 what do the straps hooked to the motor mount do?

17. Member
    That's the straps to my cover...

Mercury Pro Team

2017 Triton 20 TRX Patriot
    250 Opti Max Pro XS
    Twin 8' Power Pole Blades
    2 Solix 12 gen 3 , with mega 360