Mercury Pro Xs rigging tube repair ?

Does anyone have a rigging tube repair ideas for a Pro Xs ? I have the Phoenix Mercury curse I had to raise my motor all the way up to install and new trim reader and the rigging tube got a big tear in it. I don't want to put something stupid on there like Duckt Tape.

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bernerbass99 View Post
    Does anyone have a rigging tube repair ideas for a Pro Xs ? I have the Phoenix Mercury curse I had to raise my motor all the way up to install and new trim reader and the rigging tube got a big tear in it. I don't want to put something stupid on there like Duckt Tape.
    Mine tore too when I forgot to raise my hydro jackplate up before I trimmed it all the way up to take off the motor support. I'll be following to hear what people say. For the time being, I poked two small holes and ran a small black zip to hold them together. Not a long term solution though since I can still see the crack.
    Phoenix 721 - Yamaha SHO 250 - 8' Blades

3. Member
    its not that difficult to disconnect everything and install a new one, i had problems with the trim limit box so i couldnt get my motor high enough to remove motor support i ended up removing it and no further issues, if i encounter that problem this is the route i will take.

I kept about a foot of the original tube out of the engine and removed the rest. I then installed one of these:

http://thmarine.com/zippered-rigging-sleeve

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 06 SB View Post
    I kept about a foot of the original tube out of the engine and removed the rest. I then installed one of these:

Cool idea

6. Member
    It has happened to me also, with hydraulic jackplates and instructed to travel with them all the way Down it's going to happen a lot. Just bad interface between two products.

7. Member
    I've had the same difficulty three weeks ago and have been looking for a way to 'fix' it. Looks like the rigging sleeve will do the trick!

8. Member
    Has anybody thought of cutting the new tube length wise with a cutting blade in a dremel or angle grinder, so you could spread it open enough to snap it on over the cables? I don't know if it would work, just a thought I had.

Just take the three screws out of the motor cowling and cut the bad part out and reattach. Once its shortened it ahould be fine. I fixed mine a year ago and has been fine since.
    Jason
    2015 Phoenix 919 225 ProXs

10. Member
    So you have cut some of your tube off and reinstalled it as a solution.. Mine is ripped too I was thinking about getting the zippered sleeve but that would be good until I do that

Yes. And just watch how high you tilt it and it should be fine.
    Jason
    2015 Phoenix 919 225 ProXs

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 06 SB View Post

me too

13. Member
    It just makes me mad that Yamaha has never had this problem and my previous 3 mercs have all done this. It's about time to fix the problem

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix919proxp View Post
    Has anybody thought of cutting the new tube length wise with a cutting blade in a dremel or angle grinder, so you could spread it open enough to snap it on over the cables? I don't know if it would work, just a thought I had.
    On my previous boat I had an older Yamaha and I took a shop vac hose and sliced it length wise to fit it over the wires. Zip tie on each and one in the middle. It gave it an updated look and worked well.
    Phoenix 721 - Yamaha SHO 250 - 8' Blades

15. Member
    I cut my old tube lengthwise to remove it...and zippered on the new nylon cover. No need to disconnect anything.

16. The Kairos Lures Guy Fidgetcranker's Avatar

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by vausoner View Post
    Just take the three screws out of the motor cowling and cut the bad part out and reattach. Once its shortened it ahould be fine. I fixed mine a year ago and has been fine since.
    Yup that is what I did worked like a charm and I think it's better than it was new