78 Champ Restoration

I posted this on the Champion forum and realized this probably would have been the better forum I need some feedback from guys that have done restores, just how much work/cost I might be getting myself in for.

My wife's cousin basically told me to come get it if I want it. I'm about to be an empty nester and only a year or two from retiring, so I thought it might be fun project
    (or not) Need advice..
    It's a 78 Champion- and I have no idea about much else..
    Thanks in advance for the advice

it depends on how much of the work you do yourself and how bad of shape the boat is in. If you have to replace the strings and transom then your looking at a lot of work. Does the motor need work? carpet? are you wanting to making look like new or just get it water ready? These are questions on you can answer. It's not cheap to redo a boat but then again what would it cost you to buy one in great shape?
    Basshawk Restore
    89 Basshawk 181Xl
    91 Jonhson 175 Fast Strike

3. Member
    I honestly don't think it'd take too much to get it water ready. Motor appears to be in good shape (and runs fine) - but I'm thinking more in line with really doing a restore - and yeah, possibly down to the stringers, etc. Might be way more work than I want to get into - but that's the point of a project right? hahahaha - that and learning how to do some of that stuff.... I'm not too knowledgable on glass work..

most of the stuff you do to restore a boat you can figure out and its not that hard. Why don't you provide a list on what your wanting to do? have you checked the transom to make sure it is sturdy?
    Basshawk Restore
    89 Basshawk 181Xl
    91 Jonhson 175 Fast Strike