Thread: Contour Lines

Contour Lines

I'm a Garmine FF noob so bare with me. I Just updated my Echo Map 73sv to 4.1, and my LakeVu card. When I installed the LakeVu card I went to Fishing chart, scrolled over a lake that is on the LV card, but I didn't see any contour lines. The only ones I saw where the drastic depth change contour lines, but none of the 1' contour lines. I was doing this in my driveway at home. is this maybe why i couldn't see the contour lines? Do I physically have to be on a body of water in order for them to register?

Thanks
    Last edited by Boostr; 06-19-2017 at 11:52 AM.
    07 STRATOS 176XT

2. Banned
    Chart detail level set too low?

3. Member
    You may also need to zoom in more to see them.

That lake may also only have >1' contours. What lake is it?

You can look it up on this website to see what the contours are.

http://lakes.garmin.com/
    Smokercraft Phantom 202 Yamaha F115/Merc 9.9
    Garmin 7610xsv/GT51M-TM/Panoptix PS21/LiveScope
    Why am I hanging out here when I could be fishing.....

Quote Originally Posted by Boostr View Post
    I'm a Garmine FF noob so bare with me. I Just updated my Echo Map 73sv to 4.1, and my LakeVu card. When I installed the LakeVu card I went to Fishing chart, scrolled over a lake that is on the LV card, but I didn't see any contour lines. The only ones I saw where the drastic depth change contour lines, but none of the 1' contour lines. I was doing this in my driveway at home. is this maybe why i couldn't see the contour lines? Do I physically have to be on a body of water in order for them to register?

Thanks
    With the 2017 version of LakeVu mapping and current software, note that you must use the Fishing Chart to see all the contour detail. Otherwise, you use the Navigation Chart only.
    Garmin Pro Team

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd Driscoll View Post
    With the 2017 version of LakeVu mapping and current software, note that you must use the Fishing Chart to see all the contour detail. Otherwise, you use the Navigation Chart only.
    Hey Todd I did go into Fishing Chart, but maybe I have to zoom in closer like Larry3215 said. I mentioned in another thread that my Echo Map 73s is a 2014/15 model (Which I updated to 4.10 cause it still had 2.70), and you mentioned I wouldn't be able do update the internal mapping because of the size of the upgrade, and that I would just need to use the LakeVu HD Ultra card instead. I upgraded the LV HD ultra card with the latest software, but I did notice it still showed 2015 version maps when It was loading into the unit. Is that an issue or there just wasn't any new mapping to be upgraded?
    07 STRATOS 176XT

Hey Todd I did go into Fishing Chart, but maybe I have to zoom in closer like Larry3215 said. I mentioned in another thread that my Echo Map 73s is a 2014/15 model (Which I updated to 4.10 cause it still had 2.70), and you mentioned I wouldn't be able do update the internal mapping because of the size of the upgrade, and that I would just need to use the LakeVu HD Ultra card instead. I upgraded the LV HD ultra card with the latest software, but I did notice it still showed 2015 version maps when It was loading into the unit. Is that an issue or there just wasn't any new mapping to be upgraded?
    No doubt, if your update of the LakeVu HD Ultra card was successful, it will be the 2017 version. Your unit will show the internal mapping version, as well as the LakeVu HD Ultra version. Be sure not to confuse the two.
    Garmin Pro Team

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd Driscoll View Post
    No doubt, if your update of the LakeVu HD Ultra card was successful, it will be the 2017 version. Your unit will show the internal mapping version, as well as the LakeVu HD Ultra version. Be sure not to confuse the two.
    How would I know if I'm looking at the LV map card version or the Internal map version? Does the unit default to the LV map card version?
    07 STRATOS 176XT

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry3215 View Post
    You may also need to zoom in more to see them.

That lake may also only have >1' contours. What lake is it?

You can look it up on this website to see what the contours are.

http://lakes.garmin.com/

It's Greenwood Lake in NJ/NY. So what does it mean if it only has >1' contours?
    07 STRATOS 176XT

9. Banned
    It's Greenwood Lake in NJ/NY. So what does it mean if it only has >1' contours?
    Some lakes don't have 1' contours. Some are >1', meaning they could be 10' lines. Some lakes are shoreline only.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Riccochet View Post
    Some lakes don't have 1' contours. Some are >1', meaning they could be 10' lines. Some lakes are shoreline only.
    Ok, that would make sense then. It does say that on the Garmin map info on the link Larry showed me for this lake. I'm gonna check another lake and see what it shows. Well at least I can make my own maps now with Quickdraw.

How would I know if I'm looking at the LV map card version or the Internal map version? Does the unit default to the LV map card version?
    Yes, unit defaults to the Ultra card when inserted.
    Garmin Pro Team

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Riccochet View Post
    The Garmin maps are a joke in my neck of the woods. I have a humminbird on my console too that I use just for mapping.
    2013 Pro Team 190
    2013 Mercury 115 Optimax Pro XS
    Minn Kota 70# Edge
    22p LightSpeed Prop
    Humminbird 898 at console
    Humminbird 598 at bow