2000 Johnson 150 Rough Low Throttle

Hello all. Been a while. I have a question about my outboard. The motor runs great on the top end and seems to have full power. It doesn't seem to run as well at lower RPM's. From idle in gear up to about 2500 rpm. It acts like it is missing and runs rough. It shakes the boat at times. It always runs and never dies, just doesn't seem right too me. I figure I should be able to idle around wake zone pretty easily, but it doesn't seem to be running like it should. I have replaced the clear roller that was missing recently, and I've more the roller over on to of the flywheel as well that is mentioned in the sticky. Is it time for a an easytimer and do a link and sync? Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks,

Jordan

2019 Triton 189 TRX
    2019 Mercury 175 Pro XS 4 Stroke
    6" Rapid Jack Magnum Manual Plate

2. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Wouldn't hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by ChampioNman View Post
    Wouldn't hurt.
    Guess I'll start there..... I've put new plugs in it this year as well. Might be time for another decarb as well....

2019 Triton 189 TRX

4. Member
    There is more to it than just moving the timing roller to touch the timing cam. The important thing here is that the carbs and the timing start to open at the same time. Sometimes just moving the roller to touch will cause the timing to open before the carbs, causing a rough running motor. The timing and carb sync adjustment if you have an exterior or built in control box, without a hot foot, will result in a gap between the timing roller and the timing cam, this makes the controls shift into gear before any throttle is increased. The adjustment can be different with a hot foot.

Quote Originally Posted by 316jughead View Post
    There is more to it than just moving the timing roller to touch the timing cam. The important thing here is that the carbs and the timing start to open at the same time. Sometimes just moving the roller to touch will cause the timing to open before the carbs, causing a rough running motor. The timing and carb sync adjustment if you have an exterior or built in control box, without a hot foot, will result in a gap between the timing roller and the timing cam, this makes the controls shift into gear before any throttle is increased. The adjustment can be different with a hot foot.
    I assume all of this can be solved with an easy timer? You have a PM sir. I'm hoping it is nothing more than a lync and sync, the roller on top of the engine has been moved over for some time, but I just discovered the clear roller missing. Sounds like I need to not guess where it is and measure it....

2019 Triton 189 TRX

Oh and BTW, I have a concealed mount mount control box.

2019 Triton 189 TRX

7. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Don't matter. But we see it often when a hot foot is installed.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ford4wd08 View Post
    Oh and BTW, I have a concealed mount mount control box.
    ChampioNman is correct, the concealed mount is the most popular. With a hot foot?

ChampioNman is correct, the concealed mount is the most popular. With a hot foot?
    No hot foot. Just concealed box.

2019 Triton 189 TRX

Well looks like my easy timer is on the way. Thanks Jerry! Next question is do I need to confirm top dead center on the pistons? I noticed in some searches people used a tool for this. I have access to good dial indicators and magnetic bases at work, if need be.

2019 Triton 189 TRX

11. Member
    You need to confirm that at TDC on #1 the timing pointer is on TDC. You can remove the spark plugs for this, they need to be out to set the timings. If you don't have the OMC service manual for your motor, you may be able to download one from the sticky at the top of the page.

You need to confirm that at TDC on #1 the timing pointer is on TDC. You can remove the spark plugs for this, they need to be out to set the timings. If you don't have the OMC service manual for your motor, you may be able to download one from the sticky at the top of the page.
    I am downloading the manual now. Fred mentioned one that would work for me previously. I've got some reading to do....

2019 Triton 189 TRX

13. BBC SPONSOR Smoky Mountain Jigs's Avatar
    Hey ford4wd08 i live in dandridge and i have done the lync n sync before. I guess i didnt follow exact directions the first time with the easy timer but i got it 2nd try. After all that it ran perfect. If you need any help let me know
    Chris Owenby Owner
    Smoky Mountain Jigs.com
    Hand Tied Jigs, Spinnerbaits and much more
    2000 Skeeter zx202c - 200 Yamaha Vmax OX66 VX200TLRY

14. BBC SPONSOR Smoky Mountain Jigs's Avatar
    As long as you follow the manual and use jugheads easy timer right, you wont have any problems.
    Chris Owenby Owner
    Smoky Mountain Jigs.com
    Hand Tied Jigs, Spinnerbaits and much more
    2000 Skeeter zx202c - 200 Yamaha Vmax OX66 VX200TLRY

Quote Originally Posted by Smoky Mountain Jigs View Post
    As long as you follow the manual and use jugheads easy timer right, you wont have any problems.
    Thanks for the offer. I'll try my best to get it working right. If TDC is fine, which I'm pretty confident this outboard has never been touched, hopefully it will be easy to get sorted out.

Thanks,

Jordan

2019 Triton 189 TRX

16. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    The piston stop tool simply locks in the piston once you find TDC. You can remove the #1 plug and rotate the flywheel bolt with a 1/2" socket. Pull all the plugs and insert a pencil eraser end first into #1 and rotate the crank shaft using the socket. You'll find TDC just by feel once the end of travel happens. Verify the #1 on the timing disk lines up with the pointer and then you can connect the EZ timer. Then proceed with the timing process. Follow Jughead's instructions as he has built a better mouse trap and his process is slightly different from the shop manual.

Quote Originally Posted by ChampioNman View Post
    The piston stop tool simply locks in the piston once you find TDC. You can remove the #1 plug and rotate the flywheel bolt with a 1/2" socket. Pull all the plugs and insert a pencil eraser end first into #1 and rotate the crank shaft using the socket. You'll find TDC just by feel once the end of travel happens. Verify the #1 on the timing disk lines up with the pointer and then you can connect the EZ timer. Then proceed with the timing process. Follow Jughead's instructions as he has built a better mouse trap and his process is slightly different from the shop manual.
    Thanks for the advice as usual Champ. I hope to be able to try it out this weekend.

2019 Triton 189 TRX