UFP trailer brakes with A-60 actuator, all brakes sticking and HOT,,FIXED!!!

Posted this for another guy that had an issue, but though I would share.

Maybe you'll get lucky and this is the problem.....

There is a tiny bleed hole directly behind the big hole you can see in the reservoir. (fluid needs to be clear to see it)I used a syringe to remove some of the fluid (not all) for easy viewing. Also may need a flash light to see the Swirl orifice back in there.

If you use a screw driver to manually push the push rod. If you do not see movement of the fluid in the reservoir after the first maybe quarter inch of movement of the push rod. More than likely this bleed hole has something clogging it. And will not allow the pressure to bleed off from the brakes after hard braking.

My result...No more bearing end caps coming off down the highway, and wheels stay cool, and trailer brakes great now. Plus+++ I gained 1.5mpg, had been doing it for awhile a guess.

I used a small cooper wire to push through the hole. Bent at an angle and small needle nose. No more sticking heated brakes! I also flushed or bleed the system (just because the oil looked a little brown) after I was done.

Location of small vent swirl port on page 2 of pdf link, I stuck a small copper wire thru. Wire was I believe 24guage maybe smaller, I stripped the wire from solid copper Ethernet cable.

Fyi, it does not look like swirl to me, more of just movement of the fluid (NOT a raise in fluid level in the reservoir), if you remove half the fluid. you will see a jet of fluid squirting up from this swirl orifice (NOT the big hole) in the first quarter inch movment of the push rod manually with screw driver.

As you release the push rod with the screw driver, you may see a slightly smaller jet of fluid released from the swirl orfice as residual pressure is released from brakes. I did not see this everytime though, think it depends on the amount of pressure applied with screw driver and how quickly or slowly you release the pushrod with screw driver.

FYI, if the push rod seems to get stuck, push the emergency release clip up on the bottom.

FYI,Also if emergency cable is not routed correctly it can cause brakes not release properly.

A-60 actuator manual
    http://cartowdolly.com/wp-content/up...Swirl-Test.pdf

DB-35 disk manual
    http://cartowdolly.com/wp-content/up...B35-Manual.pdf
    Last edited by moetorola; 06-19-2017 at 11:25 AM.

good info -- Thanks !
    I keep a set of cheap cutting torch tip cleaners around ---they come in real handy for cleaning small holes like that.