Mercury fuel stabilizer???

I was putting in the Mercury stabilizer in my ranger188vs and did not notice the card board piece was stuck to the bottle and it fell in the the line. Is this something to worry about? I'm sure there is a screen to catch it from going in the tank but not sure if it is something to worry about or not. What do you think?

2. Member
    I've done the same thing at least once before and maybe twice, I forgot. I worried about it but others here said not to worry. It's been about 6-7 years ago and no problems so far. Seems like a lot of people have done it, Mercury needs to do something about the cap design. I always double check to make sure now. Good luck, I'm thinking you should be fine too.

3. Member
    I hope. Yea they need to figure something out. You would think that card board would break down at some point.

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    It went into the tank (no screen in the filler neck).

Should be a screen or strainer on the pickup tube (usually, anyway).

Probably won't become a problem- but yes, I have seen them cover the pickup tube opening and create a fuel supply restriction (rare, but it has happened).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    Well the luck I have been having lately it will become a problem. Haha