Tail lights, running lights went out on Ranger trailer today

Picked up my Ranger 520c Thursday and towed it Thursday and Friday. All lights worked properly. Hitched up today. Running lights and tail lights came on momentarily and then went out. The brake lights, turn signals and back up lights are all working. I seem to have a good ground on the ball. The plug seems to fit securely. I tried wiggling it but it made no difference.

I tow with a 2004 Yukon XL Denali with the round light plug.

Any suggestions what I should be checking?

thanks for your help.

start with the truck fuse and work your way back.. Make sure you have power to the truck side of your plug with a simple 12 volt tester.. Then just keep working your way back until you have no power.. Tail lights and running lights will be the brown wire. Most times it's a loose connection or a bad splice.

3. Member
    Found a blown fuse. Hadn't realized trailer tail lights were on a separate fuse from turn signals.

Quote Originally Posted by rangerranger View Post
    Found a blown fuse. Hadn't realized trailer tail lights were on a separate fuse from turn signals.

If it blew the fuse once --It's possible there is an issue with the brown wire grounding out somewhere.. a rubbing or bare wire that grounds out intermittently can be a bogger to run down.
    Last edited by fishnfireman; 06-19-2017 at 08:04 AM.