Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Member
    Sounds like a very similar road to one I just traveled. Assuming steering is all good and you're not trying to run at more then 3/4 trim:
    1. Start with the prop - make sure it's good. Have someone else run it on their rig or borrow another that is known good.
    2. Verify that your jackplate is set at exactly the same on both sides. My manual plate would bind more on one side when adjusting, resulting in the motor being a bit cockeyed and consequently not lined up in the center of pad. G's don't like that.

2. Member
    How are you guys measuring the height and I'm guessing it should be at 3" the steering is tight but plan on going to hydraulic this winter

3. Member
    Center of the prop shaft to bottom of the pad. Grab a helper and use a ruler (wooden yard ruler) or straight edge. Your prop shaft even with the pad would be 0. So 3 1/2 inch below the pad would be just that. The best thing to do is try to hook up with some of the Missouri guys on here and let them run it with you.
    2016 Triton 20TRX
    250 Pro XS, #112 MK Ultrex
    PP Blades, Atlas JP, Ionic Lithiums (4)
    Garmin 126/126/1222 & Solix 15

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by low slung cruiser View Post
    i would NOT waste time with setback ...trust me i've been there done that on my 2003 outlaw w/225 efi...
    2 things you 100% need to do/know...

...#1 what is your prop to pad measurement...looks like you are way low so i'd say you are 4" below pad...
    ....#2 cable steering slop definately makes the learning curve alot harder as for driving straight on pad...
    LSC, in your opinion, what is the best jackplate setback for an Outlaw? A lot of pictures of outlaws seem to have 6" or less jackplates. Why is this? Why is setback less important on an Outlaw? Just curious as us Outlaw owners can benefit from your experience. Not trying to "hijack" here, but enlighten us. That was a really bad pun I think.....
    Gambler Outlaw 1900 SC
    Mercury Optimax 200 3.0 liter Torquemaster
    Mercury Trophy 25P
    Minn Kota Fortrex 80
    Garmin 106sv Ultra & 93sv UHD

5. Member
    GamblerSam, if you look a few posts down, i asked the same question and LSC gave us some info. I wondered the same thing but more than 8" doesnt seem to help.

6. Member
    Good to know.
    Gambler Outlaw 1900 SC
    Mercury Optimax 200 3.0 liter Torquemaster
    Mercury Trophy 25P
    Minn Kota Fortrex 80
    Garmin 106sv Ultra & 93sv UHD

Gamblers are built with like 25+ inches of set back without a JACK PLATE...
    when you take your boat out of water and have to bend down and under your boat to reach the plugs, that's where your natural set back starts...
    all i'm saying is i went from Bobs 6" hydraulic to a 12" Bobs and saw literally 0.0mph increase, only additional lift which was un needed...
    Sterling 22XS / Mercury Pro XS V8

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by low slung cruiser View Post
    Gamblers are built with like 25+ inches of set back without a JACK PLATE...
    when you take your boat out of water and have to bend down and under your boat to reach the plugs, that's where your natural set back starts...
    all i'm saying is i went from Bobs 6" hydraulic to a 12" Bobs and saw literally 0.0mph increase, only additional lift which was un needed...
    +1 get your height right and check that steering
    2016 Triton 20TRX

9. Member
    Raised the engine up 1" going out now to see what it does

10. Member
    PM sent
    Former USAF Gunner B-52H

11. Member
    A very smart man by the name of Mike Price addressed this issue. I do believe he said to......
    Former USAF Gunner B-52H

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scantrell View Post
    Raised the engine up 1" going out now to see what it does

How did it run?
    2016 Triton 20TRX

13. Member
    It felt a lot better I didn't get the chance to open it all the way up yet water was rough on loz will try it next week

14. Member
    I ran the boat out today 68 mph at 5400rpm it started walking after that what do you guys think

15. Member
    My suggestion is to keep raising it 1/4 inch until performance (and water pressure) start to go down. Then drop it back down 1/4 and theoretically that should be the best spot for your set up. IMO
    2016 Triton 20TRX

16. Member
    Agreed with Dswindle. Also how was trim? My Outlaw will chine walk with too much trim at just about any plate height, at this point in just flying the bow and losing Performance, so don't over trim and let the boat stretch out then bump the trim as needed. When I bought my boat the previous owner told me if you trim it to the point where it wants to walk you've trimmed to far for best top speed.

17. Member
    +1. Good Advice here
    2016 Triton 20TRX

18. Member
    Dts how is your boat set up prop size engine height etc. I have found if I don't rush it ,it will handle a lot better thanks for all the help

19. Major Flagelator Gamblinman's Avatar
    68mph at 5400 RPM from an Outlaw with a 2.5...pretty good right there. Is that GPS or speedometer?
    "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

20. Member
    I am running a 27 tempest that has been B&B'ed with cup added by croxton. It runs best about 3.25" below pad or somewhere close, I have a hydraulic plate so I adjust per the loading and water conditions I am running in. A 1999 or newer Outlaw with a Merc 2.5 200 EFI should be spinning at 58-5900 RPM's and running 74+, a Merc 3.0 200 should be running similar speeds and RPM's as well. But yes, let the motor stretch out then bump the trim up slowly until you get your best results, if you trim to quickly the boat will lift fast and cause chine walk quicker, just my experience though.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast