Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

2001 outlaw hard to handle

I have 01 outlaw with 200 Merc 25 pitch trophy 4 blade 8 inch jp it is set 3/4 high on the side the problem I'm having is once the boat is up I will start trimming it out at 5000 it get crazy I have tried playing with trim tabs...I haven't seen this boat over 68 mph guys any info is appreciated ..

2. Member
    Too much trim will cause this. If you can't get your rpm then the prop is too large or motor not high enough. I also think the set back should be more than 8"

3. Member
    I like to trim up to about 1/2 trim or level once the bow breaks over and then I let it rip. Once it gets to 60-65 I start to trim up gradually. Mine runs best about 3/4 trim at 3" below pad. You should not be using your tabs at all when trying to get to WOT, they should be retracted all the way up. You should also level the load on your boat, mine will walk a little at 74 ish if I have both livewells empty, I usually fill the passenger one halfway when I'm solo. If your motor is a 200 EFI 2.5 liter it should run 75-76.

4. Member
    DTS is right about the tabs. Use them to get out of the hole or in rough water in slow speeds to hold to bow. Otherwise retract them or you could get into some trouble deploying them a high speeds. From you info it appears you may be too high on the jack plate assuming you have a manual plate. I've ran several different plate on the five G's i've had from a 4" manual plate on a 92 Intimidator up to a 12" on my 2200 and most all of them were different setups. I would lower that down almost to the bottom and start going up 1/4 until you find the right spot with an eye on the water pressure.
    2016 Triton 20TRX
    250 Pro XS, #112 MK Ultrex
    PP Blades, Atlas JP, Ionic Lithiums (4)
    Garmin 126/126/1222 & Solix 15

5. Member
    Ok thanks guys here is one other thing I should of said if I don't keep the tabs down a little I can't even get past 1/4 trim and the back end starts walking real bad have tried driving through it no luck unless I drop the tabs

6. Member
    Where are you at with the trim when this starts occurring? Have you checked over the steering components as well? I think as a baseline if your motor is healthy a 26 Trophy or 26 Fury would be the best bet for your boat as well, the limiter should be 5900 correct?

7. Member
    Right around the 1/4 mark yes 5900 limit should I use a 3 blade or 4

8. Member
    Have looked at all steering

9. Member
    Can you post some pics of your setup?
    2016 Triton 20TRX
    250 Pro XS, #112 MK Ultrex
    PP Blades, Atlas JP, Ionic Lithiums (4)
    Garmin 126/126/1222 & Solix 15

10. Major Flagelator Gamblinman's Avatar
    Fill the port side livewell and run and report back if its better.

You cannot drive thru chinewalk...you must react before it starts.
    "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

11. Member
    Something seems amiss here. And a 4 blade prop should handle better on the big end. But leveling the load is equally important.

12. Member
    You need to see if you can get with another member who lives close to you. Let them look at your set-up and drive the boat and give you feedback.

13. Member
    This^ Good idea!

14. Member
    Ok thanks for all the help I agree might need someone to show me how to drive this thing I have some pictures trying to get them on here now

15. Member
    How do I add the pictures I guess I'm not seeing it

16. Member
    It's the little image you see at the top of the reply box ribbon on the right hand side. It's easier to use a computer to post pics than from a phone. You can also go to the test forum to get it figured out

17. Member
    here are some pics hope they help you help me thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

18. Member
    Hard to tell from those pics but more setback might help. Another thing is maybe your bushings are gone on your cable steer.(or the nuts are loose. Trim it up a ways and grab the skeg, shake the motor back and fourth. If there is alot of movement you may have and issue. I had an Evinrude on mine when I bought it the guy didn't use a transom saver and it warbled the holes out.
    ~~1995 Gambler~~

Mercury 250 ProXS
    Bobs 10" AJ
    Dual Power Poles
    2-HB 1199's HB 1158 HB 597 in dash
    Ultrex 112

"Runs like a cheetah... with his @$$ on fire"

That doesn't look like an 8" Jackplate

i would NOT waste time with setback ...trust me i've been there done that on my 2003 outlaw w/225 efi...
    2 things you 100% need to do/know...

...#1 what is your prop to pad measurement...looks like you are way low so i'd say you are 4" below pad...
    ....#2 cable steering slop definately makes the learning curve alot harder as for driving straight on pad...
    Sterling 22XS / Mercury Pro XS V8

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast