SOLIX Chart/Track/Waypoint Rendering Something I found

Well it only took me a month to figure this out

When looking at the GPS page and you want to zoom in or out I have been using the knob

And noticed that every time you turn the knob the page would go blank and it would take about 5 seconds for the chart, track and waypoints to render again – was starting to annoy me a lot

I don’t know why but yesterday it dawned on me to try the + Plus or – Minus buttons and low and behold the screen zoomed without the screen going blank the view was instantaneously changed with no delay at all

WTH?

I mean it’s great I figured this out and now can zoom without a delay but why does the knob cause the screen to go blank?
    "The handicapped angler"

2. Member
    I just tried on my Solix 15 and there is no delay in remapping. There is a few seconds before my waypoints show up. The screen does not go blank tho. It works the same if I use the knob or the + plus or - buttons. I am running this on a regulated power supply in my office. I suppose that it could be with everything connected on the boat that this might cause your situation. I will have to try it the next time I have it on the boat.
    2020 Warrior 1890 Tiller 90hp Mercury 4stroke
    Apex 19 Mega si. Solix 1-15 si, Solix 2-15 si, Terova iLink, Mega 360, Mega Live

Thanks for checking

When I say blank I still see the boat icon it's the contour lines, track line and waypoints that take a few seconds to reload

I'm curious if you see your track and contour lines the whole time

I've never got 13V at the bow but I get between 12.5 and 12.7 and that should be plenty

Strange that it works fine with the buttons but not the knob
    Last edited by MichAngler; 06-18-2017 at 06:02 PM.
    "The handicapped angler"

I get the same thing. It looks like when you use the knob, the zoom happens as a gradual range change (like focusing a telescope).
    When using the -+ it is snap range changes with nothing inbetween.
    That gradual change is probably why there is a delay in loading the data.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

5. Member
    I got the same thing. I prefer the +/-

Well when you're on the bow in rough water it's easier to turn the knob than to push the smaller button

I just wish the page would react the same way it does when you use the buttons

Maybe HB can change this in an update
    "The handicapped angler"

7. Member
    Is anyone using a Navionics map card? Reason I ask is regardless of whether I use the knob, + or -, or two finger squeeze/expand my Solix12 is slow painting the map and very slow on waypoints. The actual technical issue is slow overlay like old computers had with slow video cards. I get partial overlay meaning quadrants of the map are painted while others are white/blank, then they paint, and seconds later my waypoints show up. It is a real issue with me as my waypoints mark in some cases dangerous rocks and other obstacles like underwater poles and when running I need to see them whenever I change zoom levels. Real problem for me and I have notified Hummingbird.

I'm running the latest Navionics HotSpots Platinum card

When I use the knob the map will draw from the top down and once it's complete the tracks and waypoints start to show up

If it didn't work right with the buttons I would think it's a map interface issue

I did notice that on a couple of very hot sunny days the unit would get hot to the touch and the GPS page would get slower and slower to load to the point it took minutes to load

I turned the unit off angled the face down more so it didn't get as much sun then ran to the next spot and the unit was much cooler and it started to work normally again

With the processor speeds increasing and unit sizes getting larger they should consider putting a large heat sink on the back of these things
    "The handicapped angler"

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SaltyMan View Post
    Is anyone using a Navionics map card? Reason I ask is regardless of whether I use the knob, + or -, or two finger squeeze/expand my Solix12 is slow painting the map and very slow on waypoints. The actual technical issue is slow overlay like old computers had with slow video cards. I get partial overlay meaning quadrants of the map are painted while others are white/blank, then they paint, and seconds later my waypoints show up. It is a real issue with me as my waypoints mark in some cases dangerous rocks and other obstacles like underwater poles and when running I need to see them whenever I change zoom levels. Real problem for me and I have notified Hummingbird.
    Same as my onix. Doesn't matter what button use use everything disappears when you zoom and takes a second to come back. Very annoying

Maybe they should make them white instead of black. A 12 or 15" black unit makes a great solar collector. Heat and improper power are the top 2 enemies of electronics.
    __________________________________________________ ___

**Looking for the one that makes it all worthwhile**
    __________________________________________________ ___

Units ..... 1197 (6.310) ...1198 (6.490) ... Helix 12 MSI G3N

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kry29 View Post
    Same as my onix. Doesn't matter what button use use everything disappears when you zoom and takes a second to come back. Very annoying
    Interesting as I am coming from a 900 series HB and had zero issues with map and waypoint overlay loading but did have trouble getting tracks created in my old unit to work in the Solix(they just don't translate) and I was told by support the operating system on the Onix/Solix are the same but very different than what is on the 900 and lower series. It is more than annoying to me as where I fish we have tons of below water rocks that I have as waypoints and when I need to see them it is now, not seconds later.

As a side note the tracks made by my 900 were completely misinterpreted by the Solix. The start points were changed from North to south and west to east putting them in the unit but 8 thousand miles away from where they belong. As a result all my tracks that took me around the rocks are in China so I lost those. And yes I have the issue in support but that was 2 weeks ago without a peep.

This is just my second post here and don't want to sound like a complainer but I gotta say I am not at all happy with this unit for how I fish anyway. I really don't want to give up how the unit talks via ipilot link to my TM but I am considering it. Can we has a fix please.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MichAngler View Post
    I'm running the latest Navionics HotSpots Platinum card

When I use the knob the map will draw from the top down and once it's complete the tracks and waypoints start to show up

If it didn't work right with the buttons I would think it's a map interface issue

I did notice that on a couple of very hot sunny days the unit would get hot to the touch and the GPS page would get slower and slower to load to the point it took minutes to load

I turned the unit off angled the face down more so it didn't get as much sun then ran to the next spot and the unit was much cooler and it started to work normally again

With the processor speeds increasing and unit sizes getting larger they should consider putting a large heat sink on the back of these things
    I experienced the same this weekend to the point the only way I got position on my boat and waypoints to appear was not just restarting it but unplugged it completely. I also lost touch control despite confirming it was on. And yes it was hot as heck on the water in Baffin Bay Texas when it happened.