2005 Hpdi 225 fuel filter question

Motor starts up and runs fine. when I get over 4500 rpms it will stumble and pick back up. But can't seem to get over 5500 rpms. I'm thinking it's a fuel issue. Where would be the bet place to start? I have seen the posts on all the filters it has. I replaced the one in the bilge recently. I have only had the boat a couple years. So I don't know when they were done last. But figuring I need to go ahead and change them. Any advice is appreciated.
    Last edited by jcori3; 06-18-2017 at 07:43 AM.

2. Member
    I just changed fuel filter on that same motor last week. Its pretty simple. Just make sure on the filter cup you tighten it enough so no threads are exposed. This week I am tackling the rest of the filters except the hidden ones. My plugs were terrible. I changed those too. Moron that owned the boat before me had the wrong plugs in it..
    Last edited by jfed72; 06-19-2017 at 11:44 AM.

3. Member
    What plugs did you go back with? Also when changing the high pressure filter, do you have to get a new metal band clamp like what is on there or can you use a small metal hose clamp from the parts store? From what I have read you have to have a special tool for the clamp.

4. Member
    Not sure about the hose clamp, but you can by the correct clamps and the tool from Amazon.

The tool is a Knipex Ear Clamp Plier, which can be found on Amazon.
    The clamps can also be ordered on Amazon for a lot cheaper, 5/8" (15.7 mm), Oetiker Stepless Ear Clamps. Pack of 10 is $5.47

5. Member
    Ok, ordered the 3 filters on the motor and a set of new plugs. I will report back with how it turned out.

6. Member
    On the back of the cowling is a tag that lists the plug type and the gap. I have only changed the fuel filter and the oil line filter so far. I am gonna need help with the other filters. Little passed my skill level...lol

7. Member
    The three filters on the motor are not hard at all to change. I got mine out and just waiting on my new ones to come in.

8. Member
    Got my filters and the plugs in. Got them all installed. I am taking it out tomorrow to see how it runs. Will report back on how it runs.

9. Member
    Took boat out this morning, took a few min to get it started. Once started I let it run for a bit and warm up. Turned it on and off a few times to make sure all was good. Boat ran flawless. Ran right up to 6k and never sputtered or cut out. Thx for the help everyone.