Help...bilge pumps quit working

2000 Champion 203. On the lake today the light on the bilge pump switch was on without the switch on. That was weird. When I got home I started trying to diagnose the problem. The light on the switch wasn't on anymore unless you turn the switch on, like it's suppose to be. However the pumps still don't work. I disconnected the pumps and I'm not getting voltage at the pump. I temped the pumps in straight to the battery and they work fine. I then checked the voltage going into and out of the switch. I've started tracing wires trying to find a fuse between the switch and the pumps with no luck so far. Does anyone know where it would be? I know there are breakers below each switch, but the way it appears to be wired, it appears power goes to the breaker, then to the switch, then to the pumps. And I already checked the terminals on the switch, both in and out and have voltage. I'm at a loss where either a fuse is located or a break in connection is. What says the Champion owners on the BBC? Thanks in advance.

2. Member
    Sounds like you have a bad switch. They can do all sorts of weird things when they start to fail. I replaced them all in my 99' 203 when I got it.

3. Member
    You can get voltage out of a switch, without any amperage. Pretty common in boats really. Open that switch and clean the contacts inside.

4. Member
    Thanks for the info. I thought I would move the wires to a known working switch (livewell or hydro) tomorrow when I get home to eliminate the switch.

5. Member
    Just jump the wires on the back of the switch. If the pumps come on its the switch.
    Ed R.

2006 ChampioN 198 225 Optimax

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed R View Post
    Just jump the wires on the back of the switch. If the pumps come on its the switch.
    Correct