Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WileyG View Post
    I think the better question is why haven't there been any American chains open stores using this business model?
    WalMart is testing that here with a very small store under another name.

2. Member
    Dollar General Market comes to mind Wiley. Society put most of the small local markets out of biz by shopping at the big boxes. It's VERY HARD for them to compete when the big boxes buy by the train/ship load and get big local tax breaks for employing multiple people in the community.

Winking Owl wine

Nuff said

4. Member
    Aldi is a great addition to shopping.
    They don't have a lot of needed/wanted items.
    But plenty of stuff you do purchase.
    My shopping is mixed - Publix, Aldi and Trader Joe's.
    And that's before hitting the farmer's market.

We have an Aldi's in a hood town thats about a 15 minute drive and we went a couple times but just didn't want to go out to the hood. Then they opened a store very close to where the wife works so now she does most of the food shopping there. We are saving a ton of money but just not getting the gas points from Giant. Those gas points don't even come close to what we are saving at Aldi.
    2000 Javelin Renegade 20 DC.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.

I like Aldi for produce and odds and ends.

2008 BULLET 21XD 2007 Merc 300xs

7. Member
    We went to Aldi's this morning and did some buying of a few comparable items that we buy at WalMart and Dillons (Kroger), the only thing left to see is the quality or taste if you will is comparable. We realized a savings of 26 per cent over Dillons and a twenty per cent savings over WalMart. The store was fairly active and a little cramped it seemed to me. The store was much cleaner than when I visited one 15 years ago. The checkout was much improved over both the other stores we use. We figured we saved over 30 per cent of the items purchased when using HyVee. The HyVee while much more expensive is always a pleasure at checkout time and is always clean, staff helpful, and we have never been disappointed in any items from them. Real world experience today.

Quote Originally Posted by n2ratfishin View Post
    What happened to supporting American companies? Or, is that strictly for trucks?
    are the truckers euro citizens also

we shop there all the time, we get our meat elsewhere.
    2008 Ranger 178VX
    150 Yamaha V-max

GO Fins!!!

9. Banned
    They're closing our Aldi's and rebuilding the store. The company underestimated sales, and our store is kicking a$$.

And it's all done with 5 employees at any given time. And they're paying more $ to employees than other grocery stores.

You've just got to understand they don't have everything you need in a grocery. We go to local stores shopping the weekly sales for specific brands that Aldi's doesn't sell.

Just be aware of the army of 85 year olds that hit Aldi's at 10 a.m. every morning--stopping their carts in front of what you're wanting to buy.

The only thing I really buy from Aldi's is fresh produce... but I buy a LOT of it every single week. Their prices are less than half compared to any of the alternatives in my area and because of the large amount being sold, it's always very fresh.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bub View Post
    The only thing I really buy from Aldi's is fresh produce... but I buy a LOT of it every single week. Their prices are less than half compared to any of the alternatives in my area and because of the large amount being sold, it's always very fresh.
    The only items I saw in the small produce section that were 50 per cent cheaper were tomatoes and strawberries, everything else was 20 percent cheaper than WalMart which could be substantial if one bought lots of different produce. The small section was very well organized and the produce they had looked to be in very good shape, mostly fresh looking, and palatable looking.

They just finished remodeling the one by my house. Shop there all the time. Even better now with the remodel!
    Darrall Dougherty

13. Member
    If you are into gluten free and dye free foods Aldi has a great selection. My daughter is gluten intolerant and my son is very sensitive to dyes (temper). Totally different kid when he has dyes, so we limit as much as we can.
    I don't always post or reply but when I do, I...?

14. Member
    A gallon of milk is $1.29, a dozen large eggs .49, I don't think you can touch those prices anywhere. I bought a box of Toffee ice cream bars, 12 bars in the box, $1.98.

15. Member
    Big Aldi Fan, I used to think it was disgusting until me and my wife went on a tight budget and started shopping at aldi. It is a wonderful concept and the food is very good. Sure they have had a few misses.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tide Fan 174 View Post
    A gallon of milk is $1.29, a dozen large eggs .49, I don't think you can touch those prices anywhere. I bought a box of Toffee ice cream bars, 12 bars in the box, $1.98.
    Here, a gallon of Milk was 1.79 for 2 percent and large eggs were 70 cents a dozen.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12