Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by 11pounder View Post
    Try using a bead between the weight and the knot to isolate the knot from getting beat on by the weight and see if that helps.
    This.

Another thing I've found is that even a well-tied knot will "slip" around the hook eye and burn the line. What I mean by that is that the knot sits on top of the hook eye when you tie it. After several casts, it will begin to slide around on the eye of the hook. To the side, back to the top, to the other side, etc. This is worse with a Texas rig because the weight right above the hook ensures that any fulcrum between the line and hook is right on the knot. I've actually found it to be worse when pegging the weight, which I think makes sense if you're following me on the fulcrum idea.

I always super-glue my knots for this reason - not to hold the knot together (though I think reinforcing the knot is another advantage), but to prevent it from sliding around on the hook eye. Once it does that, it's like cinching down a knot without wetting it. Snap! Another thing you might try is a loop knot (like the Rapala knot), though that creates an issue of more wear on the knot from the weight and also prevents the weight from sitting flush with the hook eye.

Last: Any chance your lake was infested with zebra mussels at around the same time this started? I remember them showing up in the Ohio River some years back and during the initial population boom, we experienced exactly the same thing. If you had a bite behind a stump or rock, you almost needed to steer the fish out before setting the hook. You'd break off almost every time. Zebra mussels usually have a massive population explosion when they first show up before the population stabilizes and becomes less of an issue for fishermen, at least from a breakoff perspective.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

2. Member
    Try putting your rubber peg between the tungsten weight and the knot. If you want to peg the weight, use 2, one above and one below. Also, don't cut the tag off too short. T

3. Member
    You need to isolate your components. Try a different rod. Try lead weights. Try a simple improved clinch knot. A properly tied palomar in 65# braid does not just break. I use 65# braid for big red snapper and grouper offshore and the only time it breaks is when it rubs against an oil rig leg, fraying it.

Quote Originally Posted by liljakec View Post
    I don't know what has happened, but in the last 2 years I have experienced an absurd amount of breakoffs on the hookset when I use a Texas rig. It doesn't matter if I'm using 65lb braid or 20lb fluoro, snell knot or Palomar knot, I end up breaking off well over 40% of my bites. Normally if I'm lucky to have brought in the fish, I have to immediately retire because my line is so frayed from the weight. I'm using strike king tungsten weights. Does anyone else have these issues?

5. Member
    If using flouro. I use a san diego jam knot and put a glass bead between weight and hook. Don't know if that makes noise to get more bites or not, but never have break off issues. Best tip I can give you is don't cinch the knot down real tight, just firm, let the fish finish tightening it down. Hope this helps. It doesn't sound like line, but I always use seagua invisix, most all applications I use 15 lb an have no issues.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12