Allison experience

The XB21 has been on my dream list for quiet a while( approx 10 yrs) I'm a bit OCD and never thought I'd find
    one I could afford at a price that I'd be satisfied with. I finally found "The boat" earlier this year. Long story.....
    It has been quiet the pain. I've had problems from one end to the other but THANKS to Terry Wingo, Todd, and Bill from Allison I now have a Fishing/ tournament ready boat. If it hadn't been for Terry reaching out and seeing the frustration and offering to help I very well may have sold this boat before it hit the water.
    Last edited by BASS 1; 06-18-2017 at 06:49 PM.
    2016 Allison XB21 XST
    2021 Mercury 250R

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BASS 1 View Post
    The XB21 has been on my dream list for quiet a while( approx 10 yrs) I'm a bit OCD and never thought I'd find
    one I could afford at a price that I'd be satisfied with. I finally found "The boat" earlier this year. Long story.....
    It has been quiet the pain. I've had problems from one end to the other but THANKS to Terry Wingo, Todd, and Bill from Allison I now have a Fishing/ tournament ready boat. If it hadn't been for Terry reaching out and seeing the frustration and offering to help I very well may have sold this boat before it hit the water.
    What problems did you have with it?

Lets see some pics of it.....
    89 Ranger 360v/05 Optimax 200

4. Member
    First of all not bashing anyone in this just giving my personal experience.I bought the boat as a "new " demo, no motor, troller, etc stripped down xst. I've had trouble from when I picked the boat up and on the way home the cowling was bouncing,... cowl wouldn't latch from factory ( Merc sent new cowl). At some point a ground wire had been cut, result No power to units on front or 12v plug.
    Tach and trim never worked correctly. Adjustable seat wouldn't work. Had a crack in a pipe allowing small amount of water in hull. 3rd trip on water, dead battery( stealth wired wrong) fixed with assistance from Danny ( Stealth One) Had to upgrade. One of the transom bolts broke loose while changing out spacers, had to unbolt and move tank w/ 25?? Gal to access bolt. Troller was mounted crooked, OCD had to change it. I now have all digital gauges, straight troller,latching cowl, optima 31.
    Not at all blaming anyone. It's just so how it's worked out for me. At least now I feel like I know this boat inside and out end to end.

Now on to catching fish and enjoying it.
    Running 28 Bravo 1FS 1 3/8 below. 1.75 Tm. 83.7
    2016 Allison XB21 XST
    2021 Mercury 250R

5. Member
    Will work on pics.
    2016 Allison XB21 XST
    2021 Mercury 250R

6. Member
    I feel your pain. But my issues are all motor related. Approx 100 hrs and cant keep it running. Ugggg.
    John Wolff
    2003 Allison XB21 2+2
    2003 Mercury 250xs

7. Member
    Thats alot of problems for a new boat.

Xb2003 - 300xs
    100+ mph club

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by xb03 View Post
    Yea, it's been quiet an ordeal.
    2016 Allison XB21 XST
    2021 Mercury 250R

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwolff View Post
    I feel your pain. But my issues are all motor related. Approx 100 hrs and cant keep it running. Ugggg.
    Dang it. Luckily I haven't had engine problems.
    2016 Allison XB21 XST
    2021 Mercury 250R

10. Member
    Well hope all goes good for you now!

11. Member
    Experience. I posted from my phone and just noticed the title is spelled wrong.
    2016 Allison XB21 XST
    2021 Mercury 250R

12. Member
    Second time out in my new 2017 I had two issues and neither were the fault of Allison but both I would consider very rare; graph on the bow went bad and my brand new $400 AGM battery went dead.

You did not mention who set the boat up? I know Allison did not hang a 250 on your boat so I presume a dealer had their hand in there somewhere. Did the dealer install the Stealth charger?

I'm glad you got it all figured out and that's good speed with the engine running that low!

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by scj View Post
    Second time out in my new 2017 I had two issues and neither were the fault of Allison but both I would consider very rare; graph on the bow went bad and my brand new $400 AGM battery went dead.

You did not mention who set the boat up? I know Allison did not hang a 250 on your boat so I presume a dealer had their hand in there somewhere. Did the dealer install the Stealth charger?

I'm glad you got it all figured out and that's good speed with the engine running that low!
    -what did you figure out to be your problem?

Now that I've got it all fixed up, I believe the only diff in mine and the Pro will be lights,eped, steering wheel, and swim rails if I'm not mistaken.
    2016 Allison XB21 XST
    2021 Mercury 250R

14. Member
    The battery tested bad which is extremely unusual for an Odyssey and I went through two bad graphs which is almost unheard of before I received one that would work.
    I checked every wire for voltage and proper ground and nothing was wrong with my boat. I thought I had a bad bilge pump that turned out to be a bad battery in my tester.

Sometimes you just have shit for luck I know I do.....

15. Member
    Wow, glad you got yours figured out.
    2016 Allison XB21 XST
    2021 Mercury 250R

Quote Originally Posted by xb03 View Post

That is way to many problems for even a (demo) boat sold as new.
    Care to say where it came from and who rigged it ?

That's very good speed for your setup. I know Teb Jones runs a 27 Fury 3 blade on his TM, he says it performs flawlessly in the mid 80's
    Brian Schuler
    USMC Retired

A true Hero gets out of bed every morning and goes about lifes daily tasks unnoticed, unassuming, and unsung.

A true Hero takes on responsibility, speaks kindly, acts fairly, endures patiently. And facing every day with simple strength.

A true Hero persists in the things that really matter.

2013 Allison BasSport Pro Elite
    Mercury 250 Sport XS

18. Member
    I have a good idea that he got that boat from Dallas.

19. Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by BASS 1 View Post
    You stated that you purchased the boat without power, trolling motor, and a stripped down version which I assume means no Stealth charger installed from Allison. Seems like most of your issues were rigging related.