Finally got the 210 out

After owning it for about 3 month's finally got to run the 210 on a bigger lake and check performance. 2 people fair amount of fishing gear full wells was hitting right at 68-69 GPS..Weather was very hot and humid. Boat is a complete dog out of the hole. Probably one of the worse I have owned. Setup is a 10" Bob hydro plate, 27 Fury no plugs max rpm 5400-5500. Would start plate all the way down as well as trim and start bringing up as it comes over hump..Would really like as better hole shot and hopefully just a few more mph..Any ideas? Best fishing platform and ride I have owned..

Attached Images Attached Images

2. Banned
    That 27 Fury is way too much prop... Get a 25 Tempest Plus, use medium plugs in the holes. Try it, get some numbers and send it to Mark Croxton... Dan

3. Member
    I thought the same when I bought the boat. I have a hard time finding what guys are running for the 210 with the Etec. I went to Mercury's prop app and it is telling me to run a 29 Tempest plus which seems crazy to me.

4. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    What did it come with the Fury or a Raker 2? You my want to try a 26P Raker 2. Sweet looking ride.

5. Member
    Came with 27 Fury. Thanks for compliments

6. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Is that a 225HO or a 250 HO? You do need to get those RPMs up though, that's why I suggested the Raker 2.

7. Member
    It's a 250ho

8. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    Very sharp ride!!

Quote Originally Posted by Breezy1 View Post
    Would start plate all the way down as well as trim and start bringing up as it comes over hump.
    Plate all the way down is way too deep. Need to put the prop shaft about 3.5" below the pad and mark that setting either on the plate or on the gauge if you have one. From there, you should be able to find the optimum setting for top end by bumping it up about 1/4" at a time. The only time you'd want to go lower is in rough water.

9. Member
    Only down for take off..Would bring up as well as trim as the boat came over the hump. Seem to run best between 3.75-3.25 didn't make much difference in speed only steering. If I tried to take off at 3.50 it would blowout or slip coming over the hump.

10. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    All the way down for take off is why your hole shot sux ... the prop is too deep. Wherever it runs the best is going to be close to where you want it for take off. If it blows out coming over the hump, then start plugging the PVS holes. Merc makes solid plugs and 2 sizes of restrictors. You want to play with the PVS until you just get rid of the blow out. Id' start with the large restrictors and if it still blows, start replacing with the small one at a time. I would think you'd find the sweet spot before getting to solid plugs. I have a 210 with a 250 HPDI and run a Yamaha 25P M1 (no vents). I also have a NIB 25P Tempest, but have not sent it off to be trued up. The boat had a Yamaha 27P M1 on it when I got it and that was too much prop.

11. Member
    You need a 26P prop 4 blade and you will need larger vent plugs to allow more exhaust over the prop. The prop needs to spin faster so it hits that more powerful RPM torque range and your boat will do much better. So...

- 5500 RPM is too low... you need to drop to a 26P which will take you to 5700 to 5800 rpmish which is fine and safe. When it gets cold out it will take you to about 6000RPMish

-once you get the new prop (will not help the hole shot), and the hole shot is still lousy, you will need larger vents. for now just take one out and leave the other 3 in and see how well it does. You dont want to take them all out because you will cavitate if it runs too much exhaust over the prop. so you will need to experiment. Take one plug out first and you will see an immediate improvement. If it doesn't cavitate and the hole shot has improved you are on the right track. Replace all four plugs with a larger set, then do it again until you get the balance of best hole shot without cavitation.

12. The Kairos Lures Guy Fidgetcranker's Avatar
    Nice looking boat! I agree that a 27 is too much prop, as well as... Yes, you are taking off way to low.

With trim all the way down, try finding the highest takeoff point that does not blow out, and that will be your best holeshot spot even tho it still may suck due to too much prop. You should be able to do that fairly quick with a hydro plate.
    Once you find it, THEN bring trim and plate up to best running spot for wot. Your wot will be the same as it is now, until you find the right plug combination, or get the right prop.

Personally, imh I would think a Raker Prop would turn best on any Rude. I went thru a similar situation on a smaller scale with a 150 HO. I began with a Raker (which worked well, but I'm always looking for better), then tried like 6 different props, and went back to the Raker one pitch lower. That put my holeshot, top end, and rpm's at their best.

I believe you would do best with a 25p Raker. That will get your rpm's to about 5800. If rpm's go above that, try a 26p... That would be best senerio... An HO shouldn't go over 5800 rpm's. A dealer should tell you the same.
    The older Johnson/Rudes would run 6000 rpm's, but not the newer HO's

I know it's easy to say try this prop, or then that prop, but a lot of money is involved with that. You could send/call Croxton with your numbers and type of prop info (including plugs your running). He will tell you best plug combo to use with what you already have, and also tell you what prop you actually should have. He's a nice guy and very helpful. This could save you a lot of tiime.

I would want optimum perfomance with that beauty...Best of luck!

13. Member
    Thanks for the help and compliments. Excited to try a new prop and suggestions and see how the work

14. Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar
    I would think a 27 fury is way to big that's like a 28 tempest.Go to a 25-26 raker 2 and you should see a difference.

15. Okchamp210
    Four blade will get you out of the hole quicker but the 210 is a big boat so compared to smaller models there will be some give and take.

I agree about the jackplate, only time I am all the way down is when it is on the trailer or in 4-5 footers

16. Member

17. Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar
    Heres a 596 22ft mercury 225 opti 25 turbo lightning ,propped right you should see 2 sec to plane.It takes 1/2 throttle to get her going.