Thread: New RT188

New RT188

After months looking at purchasing a new 18ft bass boat I had finally picked up a Ranger Rt188. I've looked at all the 18ft fiberglass boats as well. The RT188 meet all my needs and save some $$. I'm running it with a Merc ProXS 4s 115CT 24 pitch prop. I really love the boat and impressed the way it handles!! I will be making some up grades on the trailer in the near future. The 1st will be the the trailer jack to a Fulton F2 and then maybe some LED lights. Also, the bow stopper had a split which I'll have replaced. I can't't say enough about the boat I'm very impressed the way it fishes. I've tried several times to post some pics but I've been struggling with it. Hopefully I'll figure it out. Has anyone with the 115CT tried a different prop?

2. Member
    Been there, done this. Let your motor loose up a little. Tempest 24 will do what Ranger advertise's. Keep it full of gas and fish it! Good luck with ur new boat. krw

Quote Originally Posted by krw View Post
    Been there, done this. Let your motor loose up a little. Tempest 24 will do what Ranger advertise's. Keep it full of gas and fish it! Good luck with ur new boat. krw
    Thanks krw!

4. Member
    I have the same problem, according to my dealer Ranger has been installing the wrong props, prop chart sheet error. They are sending a 21p tempest, will let you guys know how it does, should be by next weekend.

Also have the splitting roller, getting that replaced under warranty. The motor is also dropping overnight, seal problem. Other than those issues love the boat. Guys I fish with couldn't believe how fast it planes.
    Last edited by blargh; 06-17-2017 at 05:26 PM.

5. Ya, I Live on Rainy Lake! basscla's Avatar
    Congrats on the new rig. Need pics

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by blargh View Post
    I have the same problem, according to my dealer Ranger has been installing the wrong props, prop chart sheet error. They are sending a 21p tempest, will let you guys know how it does, should be by next weekend.

Also have the splitting roller, getting that replaced under warranty. The motor is also dropping overnight, seal problem. Other than those issues love the boat. Guys I fish with couldn't believe how fast it planes.
    Tried the 21 Tempest. I gained RPM's, gained 0 MPH, and lost takeoff. I too have talked to Ranger and to Mercury both. Keep it full of gas and go fishing. But I am interested if you get the same results as I did on the 21. krw

Still learning how to post pics
    Attached Images Attached Images

8. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    Congrats on your new rig!!!!!
    2013 Ranger Z520c, 2013 Yamaha 250 SHO
    2018 Ranger RT198p, 2013 Mercury 150 Optimax

10. Member
    I changed all my fluids after break in. Dealer recommended it, as the new gears will loose some fine metal particles in the lower unit as they mesh. After it reached 16-17hrs it has seemed to start running a little faster. 1 person with tackle and a tank of fuel I hit 49.5mph on my Gen 3 GPS with point 1. Average with 2 people 47mph. 2017 115proxs CT. Like mentioned this boat jumps on plane quick, just wish I could trim up a little more..

Thanks everyone..much appreciated!!

Congratulations!
    2017 Crestliner VT 18 DX
    Mercury 115 ProXS
    Motorguide X3 70lb 24V
    TP Express Mach 4 13 x 19
    "Follow Me," Jesus told them, "and I will make you fish for people!" Mark 1:17

13. Member
    Congrats, you'll love it. Just wait for that Merc to loosen up. My 2011 Opti didn't loosen up until almost 40 hours. The new one has about 25 hours and is tight. The Tempest is the prop for that combo.
    2015 Ranger RT188 DC; BassCat Storage Box; Mercury Optimax 115ProXS;
    19" Spitfire X7; Vessel View Mobile; Minn Kota Ultrex 80; GForce Handle;
    TM Eliminator; Helix 7 G2N SI Combo F/R; HydroWave KVD; BBT 4" Angled Bow Mount; Durasafe Locks for Electronics and Ultrex;
    Twist Step Boarding Ladder; EZEE Step ES1; BAC RAC Rod Storage; Motor Mate Transom Saver