should the bunks support all the weight ?

hello guys ,new here and happy to join !
    i have a question : should the bunks support all the weight of the boat ? the set-up is a 1997 stratos 219F with a stratos trailer (custom easy loader) bought together new by last owner with 4 bunks, when winching down the bow lowers a bit and there is on that trailer an hinged roller mount that seems to lift the bow when winching up ! i am installing a drotto latch and want to weld the hinge part so it doesn't move and am wonderig if i should just reajust the winch post and roller bracket so the boat is sitting only on the bunks and the bow roller just holds without liftingt it ?
    by the way the boat fits perfect and is also perfect while towing. thanks for any advice.

2. Member

USA

First-- What else is the boat going to put its weight on besides the bunks.

Second-- The boat and trailer must have worked for 20 years. I would do nothing to the trailer. Just keep good tires on it and watch for rust and broken welds. Enjoy your boat.

I'm thinking when you winch, it's twisting the trailer, so just don't worry about anything

4. Member
    ok guys first :it does work but on a somewhat steep ramp the boat slips down even after hooking it because of the hinged bow roller mount ! so have to step out to crank and winch the boat up=hassle when alone.second after playing with it :true its flexing thats what i was seeing as dropping ! but i will install the drotto latch and will modify the winch post and mount so it works .just more figuring to adjust it right .will be much easyer when alone wich i am often . thanks .

5. Member

USA

I looked up what a drotto latch was, and if it works like advertised and holds up. Then it might be the best thing since sliced bread.

There have been several products out there like this. I hope it works well for you. Let the rest of us know how you like it.

6. Member
    Yes the bunks support the boat. I modified my trailer so my bunks stay in contact all the time. I measured the distance where the bunks did not touch the boat. I then shimmed the bunks so they make contact all time. Now I did this a little at a time so the wood would bend.

I don't know how much of the weight it carries, but when you winch the boat up some of the weight is on the bow stop.

8. Member
    well it is installed and next is a test but not shure when ! since it spaces the boat back about 3 inches and i did not want to move from a perfect towing set-up i just relocated the hinge point and welded a stop so it does not hinge. after testing i will adjust if needed and clean-up and weld it permanently with a plate from the winch plate to the roller-mount .
    Attached Images Attached Images

9. Member
    I never did understand the hinge. Solid seems so much better

10. Member
    well on one forum here i found what seems to be the answer more or less what i figuered :when unloading the roller somethimes hits the trolling motor and could hang up so they made it follow the boat down ! and loading could happen if not at best trailer depth . but not anymore. i will have to find best position but the latch will do what its supposed to and i am modifying the rear rollers so that the rear always slips on the best position on the bunks when loading with the trailer in deeper than before the latch so no more rubbing on the bunks.

11. mikesxpress
    http://shop.drottoproducts.com/main.sc

Video's on site are not working for me. Variation from some of the other lock N load type systems I have seen.

12. Member
    from all the reports from owners this seems to hold up and everyone that owned one would not be without anymore ! so well see !

That's an interesting product.. thanks for posting..
    2001 Ranger 518DVX Comanche / Mercury 200 Opti (OT306368)

14. Member
    I will never have another boat trailer without a Drotto Latch on it. One man loading and unloading my boat is incredibly easy. The winch stand had to be moved forward a couple of inches to keep the transom supported by the rear rollers. Not doing that can put a hook in the boat hull. The same is true for bunk style trailers. I have had both.

15. Member
    finally got to the water and when you find the right depth for the trailer its great ! works as advertised and i love it. when unloading you go deeper a bit so the boat floats off by pulling the handle or a cable tied to it and to load i just backed the trailer in at the depth found with the center bunks about a foot out of the water to guide like normal. and like STUMBLEBUM said i moved the roller position forward around 3 inches to keep the original roller position and the boat sitting same as before and blocked the hinge so no movement.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by champ210 View Post
    I never did understand the hinge. Solid seems so much better
    It allows you to back the trailer in the water farther and your bow not go under the roller.